Parachute mortars

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MIflyer

1st Lieutenant
May 30, 2011
Cape Canaveral
Never heard of these. But you can buy one now.

Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 18-41-15 Three words everyone loves to hear - BACK IN STOCK! - SARCO ...png
Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 18-42-12 Three words everyone loves to hear - BACK IN STOCK! - SARCO ...png

Interesting. I have run across mention of these weapons in a couple of articles/books in the past, but have never seen any specific details before. The only details I ran across were something like 'fired from tube launchers' and 'operated similar to the British aerial mine'.

The first time I read about the AA mortar was in an article where it was believed that an A-26 had its wing blown off during a strafing run. Multiple small parachutes were seen to appear just before the explosion.

The weapon was taken seriously enough that it earned mention in the March 1944 Air Force magazine.
70mm AA Mortar article AF magazine Mar'44.jpg

The British had the Holman Projector (naval and land types), as well as the multiple barrel 7-inch UP mounts on larger ships and ashore in a few harbour installations.

Holman Projector - land mount "Holman Projector - Wikipedia"
Holman Projector - land mount.jpg

7-inch 20-barrel UP projector (IWM photo) "Unrotated Projectile - Wikipedia"
7-inch UP mount HMS KGV IWM.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back