Photography - equipment, help hints

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking at some of my shots from the sunglasses shoot I did a few weeks back, I found that cropping can give you broader commercial appeal. So if you like the shot, but something is missing, try cropping into a different format, or to bring in more details. Here are a couple of examples, and one close crop in which you can see me in the reflection with the camera over my head.

Attachments

• EVG_3626_logo.jpg
    EVG_3626_logo.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 92
  • EVG_3978closup.jpg
    EVG_3978closup.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 101
  • xEVG_3626.jpg
    xEVG_3626.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 98
Here's something fun I thought I might share.

Many years ago, I disassembled a couple of Epson flatbed scanners to convert them to "light tables". In the process, I removed the innards and discovered that there was a cool little lens the Epsons use to capture a scanned document's image. It's called a "final Focus" lens and it's not all that large, and from I've been able to learn, about a focal length of 15mm (don't quote me on this). The end result, is that these things are awesome for using as a magnifying lens AND better still, makes an iPhone darn-near a microscope! Trying to hold the lens in place for a photo is almost like cat juggling, but the results are really cool!

I'll post some examples...all of the photos were taken with my iPhone 4S, by the way.

Here's a coule of shots with the lens next to a penny for scale.
IPN 619[720x540].jpg

IPN 613[720x540].jpg

Here's a macro of the penny using the iPhone's zoom
IPN 614[720x540].jpg

And here's the penny seen with the lens held up to the iPhone's lens
IPN 615[720x540].jpg

Here's a Motorola power transistor (close to an inch wide) using the iPhone's zoom
IPN 618[720x540].jpg

And here's the transistor seen with the lens held up to the iPhone's lens
IPN 617[720x540].jpg

And now for a completely random shot:
the tip of an inkpen seen through the lens held up to the iPhone's lens
IPN 616[720x540].jpg

So for a while now my 18-55mm has been stuck at only being able to shoot at F3.5 below focal lengths of around 30mm which is quite annoying at times although for portraits etc. it was still OK. So I ended up replacing it with one of these :oops: which I was going to get when I upgraded anyway but got it a little early instead.

Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM - EF-S - Canon UK

Excellent Hugh! :thumbright: I have the EF-S 18-55mm lens. If you ever upgrade to the larger frame EOS Cameras though, the S series lenses will not mount to them, sadly. I found this out the hard way.
Had a friend, who shoots Canon, upgrade his body recently, and got an adaptor so he didn't have to replace all of his glass.

If I recall right, he ordered it from B&H Photo.

I just have the one S series. The other two are higher end and are made for the larger frame. But thanks for info Dave, I may look and see if they have a adapter to make that one work. It'll save some mullah until I can save up and get a decent short range telephoto.

Excellent Hugh! :thumbright: I have the EF-S 18-55mm lens. If you ever upgrade to the larger frame EOS Cameras though, the S series lenses will not mount to them, sadly. I found this out the hard way.

Don't see myself going full frame anytime soon, next camera upgrade will be to the 7D or equivalent. Don't need much more camera than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back