Picture of the day (general)....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

IMG_20240510_201156.jpg

IMG_20240510_201252.jpg

-Maybe it's just me but I saw this photo, simply captioned as a P-38 Lightning but I think there might be more to the story. Yes, no, maybe??

Attachments

• P38_NOT.jpg
    P38_NOT.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 6
Notice that the wing guns are missing. No doubt the local children pilfered them to set up a private AAA site.

I did read a letter that said a couple of kids stole a Browning from a bomber wreck and then a belt of ammo from a fighter crash and tried shooting at a 109 that flew over.

No, it's the "E-1" variant, which had 7.92mm machine guns in the wings, not the protruding barrels of 20mm cannon associated with the "E-3" and "E-4" variants.
What I find interesting, is that the holes in the fuselage don't look like they are from 0.303 guns, they look a lot like 20mm holes.

IMG_20240601_135107.jpg

Captain Roger Donlon surveys the damage to the Special Forces camp at Nam Dong, attacked on the 6th of July by a battalion size of Viet Cong.
Wounded four times during the attack, Donlon became the first recipient of the Medal of Honor in Vietnam....

(US Army)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back