Picture of the day. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A sapper discovers a mine beside the Desert Railway which ran from Mersa Matruh to a few miles from Tobruk, 22 November 1942.

dbe1b564796a794736ff3b22f9890a4c.jpg

Well, the sapper should be secure in the knowledge that the photographer walked ahead of him.

Shinpachi, an interesting photo and thanks to fastmongrel for pointing out the barrel construction. I did not know that the barrels were wound with wire so thanks for that!

Disarmament. Cutting a 40cm (15.7inch) barrel from Mutsu or Nagato class battleship at Kannonzaki, Kanagawa Prefecture in November 1948. Photo by Robert L. Steele
That is a very informative photo, Shinpachi!

To be honest, I had always thought the large gun barrels were of an extruded, tempered construction.

Well, the sapper should be secure in the knowledge that the photographer walked ahead of him.

Shinpachi, an interesting photo and thanks to fastmongrel for pointing out the barrel construction. I did not know that the barrels were wound with wire so thanks for that!

Wire wound barrels were mostly a British thing and as most of the pre WWI Japanese navy was built in Britain its not surprising the Japanese arsenals followed suit. Wire wound barrels had advantages and disadvantages over barrels that were built up from tubes. They were lighter, cheaper, quicker to build and tended to last longer. Against them they were limited in barrel length before problems with barrel droop kicked in as they werent quite as stiff longitudally. The famous RN 15 inch 42 calibre guns were wire wound and are reckoned to be the best all round heavy gun ever built and one of the most accurate and hard hitting.

List of British ordnance terms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dang...that's an expensive snafu!

Can't help but notice the hand-written 87 of the fuselage (aircraft at right) and the partial stammkennzeichen (on the aircraft at left)...did this occur at a factory, perhaps?

It might just be my suspicous mind and rubbish eyesight but is there something not quite right about this picture. Cant quite pin it but as soon as I saw it it looked odd and every time I look at it it still looks odd. Possibly the nose of the left craft and the shadows on the craft on the right.

It might be the illusion that the plane on the left has a none standard 4 bladed prop, when in actuality it's one of the blade of the plane on the right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back