Picture of the day. (10 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That crewman has been ejected complete with seat. I wonder if he survived.

View attachment 777368
No. He did not. As was stated in the original picture.
I have seen it but out of principle i do not post dead people from whatever side.
I am not squimish but i do not think horror pictures have any value. Not for this board nor for people finding out about their kin.

I personally think it should not be on this site.

US troops, but those are German machine guns, MG-34 I think, and that radio does not look like a US one, either.

View attachment 778049

Interesting .... I was gonna suggest post-war French troops in Indo-China, but the terrain looks very Western European.......

Undoubtedly somewhere in the Western Europe. Possible the Ardennes or Alps. The German's helmets, the Stielhandgranate and the MG-42 but not MG-34. Also the backpack wireless radio-set ( Tornister-Funkgerät Torn.Fu.d2 (Torn.Fu.d2/24b-212) TSE 1/210 IMHO, indicates the German's emplacement somewhere in the forest in 1944-1945.

I agree. The image does fit the Hürtgen Forest as the location. But not the time frame. The US soldiers are dressed to lightly for the autumn and winter. The ground looks too dry for the year season.
The same pic and a couple more I just found on the site ... The Battle of Hürtgen Forest: Army Rangers vs Fallschirmjägers

with the caption ... "American soldiers inspect a hastily abandoned German machine-gun nest in the Hürtgen Forest. The fighting in the Hürtgen, which began in the autumn of 1944, proved to be some of the toughest in the European Theater." The pic details and the type of the radio set can be seen nicely. I would say it could be a propaganda shot or was taken elsewhere.

hurtgen-rangers-mg-42.jpg

the source: the link above.

One good thing is the ability to use foreign stuff to your benifit. The big red one used anything that moved, could shoot, had wheels or kept you warm.
There is however a point as the germans found out, that relying on stuff like that ment a disaster in the logistic chain. The Allies didnt, used and discarded when no longer a benifit. That's a big difference. And the german stuff was quite good.
Mind you the were countless pet tanks, planes guns that were carried along regardless of above. And Trophy hunting could go quite far even killing some that discarded the possibility of booby traps.

The big red one used anything that moved, could shoot, had wheels or kept you warm.

I have a book that has a picture of a US Army tank destroyer unit moving through Germany late in the war. One of their guns was being towed by an STG III. I guess having a roof over your head was a nice thing in the German winter and thus beat the heck out of a US half track, even if you did not have ammo for the German gun.

I was also surprised to read that the US Army recovered German armor in France, repaired it, an issued it to the French Resistance for use against entrenched by-passed German units. That must have been disconcerting. "Fritz, here comes a Mk IV Panzer!" "Oh, good, we are finally being relieved." "Nein! It is one of THEIRS!"

The French got some Ju88 flying and used them against German holdouts in the south of France as well.

But, on the other hand, when Rommel examined US equipment at Kasserine Pass, and one of his men said that the US gear did not look so tough, Rommel replied, "When these people get going we are going to have some real problems. Look! Everything fits and is interchangable!" Rommel was using not only German but Italian and Soviet equipment and his own staff car was a captured British Humber. His logistics must have been nightmarish, even not counting the little problem of making it across the Med.

I was also surprised to read that the US Army recovered German armor in France, repaired it, an issued it to the French Resistance for use against entrenched by-passed German units. That must have been disconcerting. "Fritz, here comes a Mk IV Panzer!" "Oh, good, we are finally being relieved." "Nein! It is one of THEIRS!
Look im my eBay: heavy Iron (Tanks Guns Ships Trains) and search for french

The French got some Ju88 flying and used them against German holdouts in the south of France as well.

The also produced them as the did FW190 etc etc.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Offizier Soldat bei FERNTRAUUNG Hochzeit

During the Second World War, various special regulations regarding marriage law were created in the German Reich. There was the possibility of a long-distance wedding, a posthumous marriage ("corpse wedding") and a funeral divorce. Postmortem marriages had already taken place in France during the First World War.

View attachment 778526

1. Deutsches Eherecht im Zweiten Weltkrieg – Wikipedia
  2. Orig. Foto Offizier Soldat bei FERNTRAUUNG Hochzeit | eBay
What was the purpose of a postmortem wedding? Was it to provide a pension and property transfer to the woman who was previously engaged to a service man killed in action?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back