RAAF Air Pageant!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cheers Wayne.

Wildcat I think you are right.

It is the most logical answer, i was just saying what the label said which didnt really help anyone :lol:

No probs. I reakon it says "Parachute exit" as in this is the place to jump from if the situation arises. Maybe the only escape point for the Hudson?

I always thought it housed a rubber life raft.

This cutaway of a Hudson, describes No.142 as the "Entry door (jettisonable dinghy housing)" and No.144 as the "Dinghy release cylinder/hand lever".

Yep spot on. Only way out and in.

I'm not sure if the Temora Hudson has a retractable ventral gun position ( I won't be ringing them to find out!) but I wonder if the gunner could 'slide' out of this position? Looks like a very small opening...

The notice just above the gun position reads, "RETRACT GUN PLATFORM BEFORE LANDING"

Heres some more........

Attachments

• canberra.jpg
    canberra.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 63
  • musspit.jpg
    musspit.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 72
  • mustang.jpg
    mustang.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 69
  • roulettes.jpg
    roulettes.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 58
  • sptifire1.jpg
    sptifire1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 66
Cheers guys......

Well the earlier shots shows I could get pretty close to the nose of the aircraft but all around.

I was standing while watching between the runway and the assembley area of the warbirds so I got a pretty good view overall of the flying action.

Thanks for the confirmation and drawing Graeme! (and great shots again Heinz!)

The remaining Hudsons in NZ also have the ventral gunner's position, (with the exception of one incomplete airframe at RNZAF Wigram). Judging by photo's, it looks pretty cramped, and being built as it is as a retractable one-piece framework, I don't think you would be able to escape from it (it's right next to the door in any case so you probably wouldn't need to). Maybe it was jettisonable though just in case, but I personally doubt it.

Does anyone know if these would be lowered before takeoff? I've only seen it like that in your airshow pics, and the restored RNZAF museum's NZ2013.
My guess is it would only be lowered when nearing enemy airspace, as it would probably knock a few good mph off the airspeed.

Just a few more.........

Attachments

• teeth.jpg
    teeth.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 65
  • planes.jpg
    planes.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 47
  • harvards.jpg
    harvards.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 51
  • boomerwing.jpg
    boomerwing.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 43
  • yak52.jpg
    yak52.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 52
Sure did!

A few passovers and that the birddog there is a combat veteran and still contains bullet holes from Nam.

The Yak 52 didn't go up but in that shot i reckon it looks like a model :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back