Radial vs liquid cooled engines

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Have you ever worked a turbine? Put one back together? It too takes someone with technical expertise. Tolerances are very precise. Not putting something exactly as it should can be catastropic.

It's not as simple as you pretend it is. What do I know though? I'm just an A&P who has worked on hundreds of PT6's and T700's. No skill required at all...

I bet your tool cabinet only has three things in it. A big hammer a medium hammer and a small precision hammer.

Oil pressure ? In the old days recip engines ran with zero oil pressure, and you'd be surprised how long even the more modern ones can. Oh and there are still many piston engines built today that don't even have an oil pump or a pressurized lube system.

I shall consider this statement, think about what you said about gas turbines and how that compares to my personal experience and give it as much credence as it deserves.

So what? If your a person or entity that was only about 10 microns in size it would look that way, everything is relative, besides what does this have to do with engines?

With an extensive background on both turbine and recip engines and over 45 years experience of wrenching, testcell operations and test-set development. I just can't help but find your comments amusing.

Last edited:
With an extensive background on both turbine and recip engines and over 45 years experience of wrenching, testcell operations and test-set development. I just can't help but find your comments amusing.
Yeah thats what happens when a guy that is not a huge fan of jets joins in, sorry, I know playing with the various rotating blades is a tedious thing and that is why my simplification of it. I have worked on jets in a limited sort of way.

Yeah thats what happens when a guy that is not a huge fan of jets joins in, sorry, I know playing with the various rotating blades is a tedious thing and that is why my simplification of it. I have worked on jets in a limited sort of way.

Turbines are actually far more fun to troubleshoot when they're ailing than a piston engine. (Especially hot-streak ignition afterburner problems.)

Oil pressure ? In the old days recip engines ran with zero oil pressure, and you'd be surprised how long even the more modern ones can. Oh and there are still many piston engines built today that don't even have an oil pump or a pressurized lube system.
Maybe, but there were very few propellers that ran without oil pressure...

Strange that all those engine designers wasted so much time on oil pumps when all they had to do was fill the crankcase with Whale oil.

R4360 must be referring to one of the new automotive engines. In fact some engines can even be adapted to run this Engine Oil Bypass Kit:
"Modern synthetic oil is very expensive - so why run the risk of getting it dirty by running it through your motor block? KaleCoAuto bypass kit comes with everything you need to run the oil around your motor block where it will do more good. Oil runs cooler, and as a result, there may be horsepower gains!"
Engine Oil Bypass Kit - $93.60 : KaleCoAuto.com, Your home for the rare, unusual, and hard to find auto parts.

Source: Kalecoauto.com

Attachments

• EBypass.jpg
    EBypass.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 23
R4360 must be referring to one of the new automotive engines. In fact some engines can even be adapted to run this Engine Oil Bypass Kit:
"Modern synthetic oil is very expensive - so why run the risk of getting it dirty by running it through your motor block? KaleCoAuto bypass kit comes with everything you need to run the oil around your motor block where it will do more good. Oil runs cooler, and as a result, there may be horsepower gains!"
Engine Oil Bypass Kit - $93.60 : KaleCoAuto.com, Your home for the rare, unusual, and hard to find auto parts.

Source: Kalecoauto.com
I see they have left handed screw drivers and sky hooks as well...

I see they have left handed screw drivers and sky hooks as well...
Yes, did you notice that the driver was metric as well?
We had a Beech 65 with rather weak strobes, but we were able to get a STC to use the KaleCo synthetic blinker fluid after the customer's SMS Manager approved it for installation. (We had to go from a aluminum reservoir to a composite set-up since the KaleCo fluid is corrosive.)
We're now getting faster, stronger, harder blinks from the previously marginal strobes. The whole upgrade was less expensive then a LED conversion.

Years ago I worked on Alaska's North slow blowing things up with an explosives guy. He has been a P-47 pilot in the ETO. Based in France they would go on search and destroy missions, a favorite was trains. Hitting an engine gave a very satisfying steam explosion. However the Germans had FLAK on the flatcars and would shoot back. The R2800 was a comforting bit of metal to have in front when the teens ball sized tracers were going by.

Returning from a Mission it was running a bit rough. Pulling up to the hard stand and climbing out he is met by the crew chief, she's missing Sarge, I'll be over at the mess tent. Sarge comes by 5 mins later, yep she's miss'n, miss'n a jug...

I have a lot of time behind R985's, I have several friends come back with an eight banger...

I this part of the world one can still hear the musical rumble of the R2800 on a regular basis. Leave the radiator flaps closed on a radiator and it will overheat too!

In 10,000 hours as a 747 Captain I puked 4 engines. None was a catastrophic failure, though the "fire" on climb out from JFK on a rainy night did catch our attention. Haven't puked any of the supposedly less reliable piston pounders yet.

Interesting to note that in the post war commercial environment, the radial soon edged out any competition. I have friends who still fly DC6 and C46 in commercial operation! Handy you can just change out that jug that you blew the top off of.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back