Realism - more than Patriotism

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Understandable that you would feel that ..... but winter is really quite exotic ... hard work .. but exotic

I never got the hang of fishing ... although I enjoy eating fish. :) There are large muskie below the falls ... and people who have fished off our dock caught small pickerel and smallmouth bass. I believe there are brown trout in the river as I sometimes hear fish jumping when I sit on the dock ... and my father-in-law says that only members of the trout species jump for prey. Since we have a 'deep hole' off the dock I believe there must be one or more large predator fish, like muskie, that lurk in the depths for prey coming down river ... but I have no confirmation of this.

September27, High 25, low 5

Autumn splendor.

Attachments

• IMG_2363.jpg
    IMG_2363.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 222
Michael,

Do you or your son ever stay at the cabin for longer periods of time?
Perhaps a week-long vacation, maybe longer?

George

Yes .... he and his Mom spent a week last summer .... and the max for me these days is 2 nights in a row ..... but in Leks' younger days we always spent the week between Xmas and New Years.

When Leks was a week old, Tiina and I spent most of a month with him up there ..... when he was 13 he spent a week alone up there ... he rode his bike into Kinmount each day to buy food ... mostly frozen pizza

Last edited:
October 4. High 17, low 2. Regrets ..... on my mind

Autumn is a time of reflection, for me. Warm enough in the sun for sitting out, cool enough to justify fires for warmth and comfort.

I have always lived my life with the intention of have "no regrets" ... upon passing. And for the most part I think I have been successful in my goal ... which is quite different from living without makings mistakes. Those I have made plenty ... :) ... but most were inevitable ... given me ... and while I wouldn't knowingly repeat them ... I have no regrets.

So I find myself reflecting on war .... it's on my mind a lot these troubling days ... but I'm reliving my interaction with Mom's 2 brothers .... Arthur (the gunner turned pilot) and Richard ... the Private turned Lt Colonel. I deeply regret that I was not more mature in my dealings with Uncle Dick ... wish that I had been able to get understanding of his war ..... nightly raids into opposing trenches.

A typical 8 or 9 year-old I bluntly asked him if he every killed anyone. Instead of answering he described making a trench club .. a weapon I couldn't even imagine ... and he implied that the club was tool of choice in his line of work. Friday evening I re-lived that encounter with Dick and realized he had given me more insight into his life than I had ever realized.

Trench Weapons For Close Quarter Combat In The Great War. - Canada at War Forums

I chuckled remembering that when Uncle Dick tried to explain tanks to me I couldn't understand at first but as he explained further I gleefully told him I'd seen a Bugs Bunny cartoon with a tank .... :) A strange association for a veteran to observe from a young boy.

I've been reading Max Hastings of late (Nemesis - the Pacific War; and Armageddon - Europe 1944-45). Hastings makes a very good case for the wastefulness of both campaigns -- the sheer inefficiency of them -- turning campaigns into analysis of cost effectiveness. It is rarely flattering.

Which brings me back to my relatives whose service I honor and respect ..... I fear we are watching a global conflagration in the making .... sewn out of previous wars and previous wrongs be they real or imagined. Sadly, I don't see any other possible outcome but to stand and fight.

Attachments

• Vimy Pentax 186.jpg
    Vimy Pentax 186.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 190
  • img001.jpg
    img001.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 222
  • img008.jpg
    img008.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 190
  • images (1).jpeg
    images (1).jpeg
    3.4 KB · Views: 202
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    6.1 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
October 10, High 15, low minus 2

New outhouse path. Last time to drink a beer on the dock this season .... I'm back up tomorrow with Leks and we'll haul it out ....

Attachments

• IMG_2364.jpg
    IMG_2364.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 197
  • IMG_2368.jpg
    IMG_2368.jpg
    873.6 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_2367.jpg
    IMG_2367.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 208
  • IMG_2370.jpg
    IMG_2370.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 208
October 12, low minus 2, high 17

Productive day trip: dock out, storm windows on, pump stored and smoke ... for special effects

Attachments

• IMG_2374.jpg
    IMG_2374.jpg
    893 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2375.jpg
    IMG_2375.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2379.jpg
    IMG_2379.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2381.jpg
    IMG_2381.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:
October 25, low 3 degrees, high 11, misty morning, afternoon showers

Once again, a productive day trip :): magic morning light, Willy dropped off Tiina's Christmas presents, splitting balsam softwood with Dieter, wood shed well stocked now, Leks topping a tall dead balsam near the cabin

Attachments

• IMG_2392.jpg
    IMG_2392.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2397.jpg
    IMG_2397.jpg
    613.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2398.jpg
    IMG_2398.jpg
    907.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2400.jpg
    IMG_2400.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2404.jpg
    IMG_2404.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2399.jpg
    IMG_2399.jpg
    807 KB · Views: 44
November 1 - 2; high plus 5, low minus 7

First snow -- 3 cms, confident cat -- he was up alone for 7 nights and turned up inside the cabin just after 11:00 PM last night ... hungry. Fresh gravel delivered for Leks to landscape with.

Attachments

• IMG_2406.jpg
    IMG_2406.jpg
    832.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2410.jpg
    IMG_2410.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_2413.jpg
    IMG_2413.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
November 7 - 8 High 2, low minus 6

Moody November ..... von Panzer volunteered to come home