Regia Aeronautica

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Italians had plenty of ugly planes. Here's one the Fiat G.50.

Attachments

• g50-2.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 714
The Italian Navy and RA was a big thorn in the RNs side, the loss by Italians to the RN alone (Not Merchant Shipping) was:

6 Cruisers
15 Destroyers
37 Submarines

58 in Total.

Which doesn't seem much as the RN had 332 vessels in 1939, and 885 vessels saw service in World War 2. They did only lose 278 vessels, that's 1/5 to the Italians :shock: .

I've read alot of that had to do with the Taranto raid (ah, that wonderful Stingbag!). After that the Italians moved their main anchorage further north and were extremely cautious in deploying their capital ships.

:lol: the lanc was telling me the other day, swordfish pilots werent scared of being jumped by 109's cos they can easily outmanoever them and lose them, it was the flak they were scared of :lol:

I imagine the crew of the Bismarck were not ashamed of saying they were scared by the Swordfish.

The Bismarck had half the Royal Navy chasing them. They were probably scared by a lot of stuff.

Especially considering the French had already surrendered . . .
But even if the French were in the war, I doubt very much that the Germans would have feared them.

I know almost no French. But I know it would have to be past tense since it doesn't look like they'll do it ever again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back