Revell 1/32 Spitfire MK1 #4555

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looks good. The only point I would offer is to watch the placement of the red dots in the fuselage roundels. The reason decal makers make these separate is to allow the modeler to make sure they are perfectly centered. It seems you've placed them slightly off by my eye.

Otherwise, it's a great looking build and the flat coat will really be the icing on the cake.

Well it's done and to be honest, I am still having trouble with canopy fit,but it is the best I can do with the skill set I have at the moment.Is it just me or am I too critical of my work? Someone says" that is a really nice job" and I say, "well I am not happy with this and that,and look how this is not right" and so on.I must say for my 2nd build and 1st real attempt at creating something to stand back and admire,I guess I am somewhat happy. I know this kit and the 109 I am also doing is not the best when it comes to fit and and real detail(as pointed out with the 109),but while I await 109 paint I will study my Hase 1/32 F6F-5 plans. ps.Don't look tooo close,but your expert opinions are more than welcome. I will make me a better modeller and not just a builder. Well here she be.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 103
As far as my opinion is concerned. There are areas you have to pay more attention to. The fusealge seams for instance. Also the antenna mast seems to be attached crooked. Here you are a pic that can help. But in general this is a very nice looking model. You can be proud of her.

1-Spitfire-MkI-RAF-19Sqn-QV-K-Brian-Lane-Battle-of-Britain-1940-01.jpg

I agree with Wojtek. I wouldn't worry too much about the canopy - it was designed to slide, and the runners are over-scale, so fit will not be perfect. The windscreen is perhaps slightly out - bit difficult to see in the pics - but again, fit of the parts is probably not as good from a 45 year old mould.
With all parts, and particularly items which are prominent, such as windscreens, it's always best to test fit, test fit, test fit, before finally cementing in place. This will allow you to notice any problem areas, and allow for these, and find the exact point where parts need to locate.
Overall though, a good effort, especially for a 'first'.

Thanks guys,ya I tried fitting the canopy a number of times and I kind of gave up on a proper fit. BTW I took the pictures that way on purpose,the same way an old lady will to hide the imperfections:lol: Oh, as far as the antenna is concerned,just a little bend should fix that. I figure the 109 will have some of the same issues. I rather practice on these cheappies than my WNW or my 1/32 Arado

Last edited:
Best way to go too. Once you've got more experience, it's quite surprising what can be done with an old kit, given that the basics are reasonably accurate and look the part. I always think of any kit, particularly older, fairly basic examples, as a plain canvas waiting for the picture to be completed.

I think you've done a fine job. Apart from the deal dots I mentioned before, there's little that I see that won't be solved with a bit more practice. For a beginner, I think you've demonstrated excellent perseverance in trying to get seams just right with sanding a filling but, as Wojtek points out, a couple of more spots might have stood a bit more attention. Just goes to show the importance of this step.

Yep, you can't build experience without trying something - and if mistakes are made, so be it- we all learn from our mistakes! And it's better to make mistakes on an old, relatively inexpensive, basic kit, than really mess up a modern, 'hi-tech', expensive kit.
The main thing, before even cutting parts from the sprues, is to inspect every part, look for any problem or tricky areas, plan the build, and prepare everything thoroughly - that's seam removal, parts clean-up, check fit, eliminate joints and seams, everything possible to make for a smooth, clean model before paint is applied.
There's always a desire to 'bash on' quickly, to see the finished product.
This only leads to a less than perfect model so, before anything is done, the main requirement is patience - in bulk, family-sized, packs!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back