Revell 'Flower Class' Corvette re-released.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
Revell have now re-released the ex- Matchbox 1/72nd scale 'Flower Class' Corvette as a 'Platinum Edition', which includes metal etch and turned brass parts. It's on offer at £90 in the UK at Model Hobbies.
A bit pricey, but not too bad, as this is a BIG model, and very well detailed.
(Photo from Revell.)

Attachments

• Revell Corvette.jpg
    Revell Corvette.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,516
Must admit I'm not a 'ship man' either my friend - all I know about ships and boats is that they either float or sink! But, I'm sort of tempted, just for the hell of it!
Oh, and I also know you can put a boat on a ship, but you can't put a ship on a boat!

It looks like those displays in shiping companies where its close to being "kitchen" table" large :D for their model ships.

Its 1.72 so thats MASSIVE :D Definatley Museum Model Ship Large.

Real Corvettes weren't particularly large ships, but I'd guess the model is around 30 to 36 inches in length, just going off fittings such as the rails and gangways, and from what I remember, seeing one at a model exhibition back in the early 1980s (by Matchbox back then). It was impressive, both in size, and as a model.

With that real live reference at hand Andy, I think you'd do a great job. Must admit, the size, and detail, appeal to me, even though I don't have any interest in ships as such. Problem is, even if I did stump up the pennies, where the heck to put it!
(Oh dear! I've just thought of a diorama, based on a description in 'Focke Wulf Condor, Scourge of the Atlantic'. But how I'd get a 1/72nd scale Corvette and a 1/72nd scale Type VIIC U-Boat onto a shelf, I have no idea!!)

With that real live reference at hand Andy, I think you'd do a great job.

Thanks Terry. It's not really "at hand" since I moved back to Calgary 5 years ago. When I lived on the east coast, I did crawl all over the Sackville during a visit to Halifax but now it's 3 times zones away and 5 hours by plane to get there!

Oops! I forgot about that Andy! Still, you're closer than I am!
Wayne, no way could I find room for it - got more chance of finding Hitler's dog!!

Been tempted with that one as well, even a large, Fletcher-class destroyer and them Revell 1/72 Type VII and Gato class submarines....£59.99 and £47.64 respectively...the Flower class corvette is £99.00 at Hannant's I see...

1/144 Fletcher: 797mm!
1/72 Type VIIc/41: 934mm!
1/72 Flower Corvette: 850mm!

:shock:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLOWER-CLASS-CORVETTE-1-72-MATCHBOX-OOP-SEALED-KIT-/121032531938?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item1c2e19dfe2

http://www.scalemodelnews.com/2012/09/big-boat-from-revell-172-scale-flower.html

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Not bragging but I built the Corvette some ten years ago and is a great kit to build
with no bodging or bad fit, I built my kit straight out the box with no such weathering
the kit can also be made into an RC boat, which i've seen on the water and looks great.

The below picture is of my 11yr old year Son holding my long dead Corvette!! I say 'dead' because
I was dusting it down and decided to build a wooden stand for it and thinking were can I put my
ship somewhere safe whilst the stand is being made!! So I put the model in the corner of a room,
above the ship was a old cabinet with a very large drop down drawer! The door dropped down
and smashed my ship to bits even cracking the hull in three parts, it was destroyed all right!

corvette.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back