RLM 02 in Ju 87 underwing?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Graue Ente

Recruit
Feb 22, 2022
Hi, I obtained a Ju87 service hatch cover from Russia. Iwas able to identify it with the help of people from a FB group. It was a Ju87 D1 Werk no 2115 J9+HK. What surprises me is the layers of paint on the cover. It comes apparently from the underside of the left wing. The first layer applied was RLM 65 I am pretty sure but it has another layer of RLM 02 on top of it. I´d like to know your opinions about it. I am a modeller and I would like to build the model of the actual plane as accurately as possible. It has no trace of th white camo ususally applied on the field. The plane was lost in March 1942 well into winter.
Plate 1.jpg

Plate 2.jpg

Plate 3.jpg

Ju 87 Data.jpg

Interesting artifact. I have little to offer, other than to say that the absence of any white winter camouflage paint would not be a surprise as this material was a washable coat that would likely have long disappeared through natural contact with water. The coat was applied directly over the summer or factory camouflage, whatever that was.

I would suggest that there is a good chance that your basic camo for this plane would be a standard 70/71/65 splinter scheme. I'm also aware that many Ju-87's were painted in a basic desert scheme at the factory and may have received a more suitable field paint for eastern front service but am not sure if this applied to D models.

Hopefully others will join in with better info.

Interesting artifact. I have little to offer, other than to say that the absence of any white winter camouflage paint would not be a surprise as this material was a washable coat that would likely have long disappeared through natural contact with water. The coat was applied directly over the summer or factory camouflage, whatever that was.

I would suggest that there is a good chance that your basic camo for this plane would be a standard 70/71/65 splinter scheme. I'm also aware that many Ju-87's were painted in a basic desert scheme at the factory and may have received a more suitable field paint for eastern front service but am not sure if this applied to D models.

Hopefully others will join in with better info.
Many thanks for your comment.

Looking at the hatch I would say there is no RLM 02 colour. The pale yellowish coat seems to be the primer applied in a factory. Then I can see the RLM 65. And finally, the top coat looks like the RLM 76 that was more greyish than bluish RLM 65. Just my three cents.

Looking at the hatch I would say there is no RLM 02 colour. The pale yellowish coat seems to be the primer applied in a factory. Then I can see the RLM 65. And finally, the top coat looks like the RLM 76 that was more greyish than bluish RLM 65. Just my three cents.
Thank you for your comment, that makes sense, RLM 76 could be have been applied under the wing on top of the 65. That helps a lot.

That said, one can not say with certainty that it IS 76 given that the paint was subject to all kinds of injurious effects over the last 80 years. Does it look like 76 right now? Maybe. Does that mean without a doubt that it was applied as 76 over 80 years ago? Certainly not.

76 was a standard paint for fighters and nightfigjters and would normally not have been applied to a Ju87. But that doesn't mean that it wasn't as there are always exceptions.

That said, one can not say with certainty that it IS 76 given that the paint was subject to all kinds of injurious effects over the last 80 years. Does it look like 76 right now? Maybe. Does that mean without a doubt that it was applied as 76 over 80 years ago? Certainly not.

76 was a standard paint for fighters and nightfigjters and would normally not have been applied to a Ju87. But that doesn't mean that it wasn't as there are always exceptions.
The RLM 65 really looks like that, it compares perfectly with color samples of kit paints, the other looks more like RLM 02 but it could have been affected more by weather and time being more exposed.

Actually the parts delivered from sub-contractors were primed with the RLM 02 coat. Junkers used a primer for the fuselage and inner wing The coat was a translucent zinc chromate primer tinged a pale green and was defined as 7902.-. So the pale yellow-greenish coat there can be the RLM02 that was a primer colour for many sub-contracted parts.

Actually the parts delivered from sub-contractors were primed with the RLM 02 coat. Junkers used a primer for the fuselage and inner wing The coat was a translucent zinc chromate primer tinged a pale green and was defined as 7902.-. So the pale yellow-greenish coat there can be the RLM02 that was a primer colour for many sub-contracted parts.
The primer can be seen under the other layers, yes. On the inner part of the plate the color is very faded. I don´t know which would be . Maybe the elctroplated finish on Green gray 02 according to Merric and Hitchcock?

Attachments

• Plate 1.jpg
    Plate 1.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Plate 3.jpg
    Plate 3.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
The report you refer to appears to be "Luftwaffe Loss Report"
Where could I access this report, I am looking for Ju-87G-2 Werk# 4098?

Thank you.

The report you refer to appears to be "Luftwaffe Loss Report"
Where could I access this report, I am looking for Ju-87G-2 Werk# 4098?

Thank you.
Hi, the screen shot was sent to me but thy did not tell me where to access it. I am sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back