Robin Olds' P-38 Lightnings Scat II and Scat III... and now Scat IV

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Glenn Sprouse

Airman
Mar 12, 2010
Richmond, VA
With the distinct possibility of Tamiya releasing a 1/48 P-38J in 1/48, I have been going over some markings I would like to do for the aircraft. The one that comes to mind is the P-38's flown by Robin Olds. However, I have come across some contradictory information, particularly in regards to Scat III and could use some help with the research.

The Osprey Aviation Elite Units book on the 479th Fighter Group says that Olds operationally flew four different Lightnings. The profile for Robin Olds' P-38 in this books shows an Olive Drab and Grey P-38 named Scat that he flew before being issued Scat II. In Robin Olds' book, Fighter Pilot, he specifically names two P-38s with his personal markings, Scat II and Scat III, before he transitioned to the P-51, the first of which was Scat IV. These are the two aircraft I want to focus on, especially Scat III

Profiles, decals sheets, and even a restored P-38J flying at airshows have both Scat II and III in Olive Drab and Grey, like his first P-38 depicted in the osprey book. However, as I looked deeper, I found out this is not correct in the case of Scat II. Two photos in particular show the actual appearance.
Scat2.jpg

These two photos show Scat II in bare Aluminium with full invasion stripes and the earlier geometric unit marking on the tail. Another issue that these photos solve in the serial number. Several books say that Scat II was 43-28341, including the Osprey book on the 479th Fighter Group. However close inspection of the right hand photo shows the serial to be 43-28707.
RobinOldsScatII.jpg

With this information, we can easily say that Scat II wpould be marked as the following profile shows...
SCAT II Markings.png

Scat II was wrecked on July 7, 1944, and Olds did not make any air to air kills with this aircraft.

Now comes the problem, Scat III. According to the Osprey Publication, Aviation Elite Units 479th Fighter Group, as well as other sources, Robin Olds got all of his P-38 kills in Scat III. This in the P-38 Olds was flying that he tells all of his stories about and had his successes in .This period was between August 14th, his first kill, through August 23rd, three kills in a day that brought him to ace status. Naturally, this is the aircraft I would love to depict. However, I have not been able to find any photos of Scat III in 479th FG service while being flown by Robin Olds.

This is where the serial number problems come up again. Publications have used the serial 43-28341, the one confused by Osprey to belong to Scat II, to tie with Scat III. Searching these serial numbers recently brought up photos from The American Air Museum in Britain (part of the Imperial War Museum) of this aircraft with a history on it. According to the American Air Museum, 43-28341 first belonged to the 55th Fighter Group and was named Peoria Pulverizer. It was then taken over by none other than John D. Landers while he was in the 55th and renamed Texas Longhorn. It was then transferred to the 479th where it became Scat III. Photos of 43-28341 while she was Peoria Pulverizer are on the site.
media-33302.jpeg

media-33304.jpeg

media-33315.jpeg

If these photos are used as a basis to make Scat III, then 43-28341 was another bare aluminum aircraft. She would have been painted to match the regulation markings of the 479th. By August, that means a red outboard rudder, with aircraft letter on the inboard rudder. Invasion stripes on the lower booms and possibly on the lower wings, as both can be seen in photos, but no upper invasion stripes. The dark paint on the gun cover that the original nose art was painted on may have been retained or removed. I am guessing it is olive drab as it pretty much matches the anti-glare panel and darker paint is clearly seen in the Peoria Pulverizer nose are. The lettering for Scat III was probably similar to other Scat markings, which makes a range of possibilities, but does lead to the following options for profiles.
SCAT III Markings.png

Just when I thought I might have narrowed it down, another piece of information surrounding the serial numbers came to light. 43-28341 went down on August 10, 1944 with Lt. James E. Flemming Jr. at the controls. He was KIA. This information comes from the American Air Museum as well. If this is correct, then that means 43-28341 was not being flown by Robin Olds later in August when he had his successes with the P-38. This raises a lot of questions. Was 43-28341 actually Scat III or was it a different P-38? Was Scat III lost and Robin Olds flew an unnamed or borrowed replacement during August? The Osprey book says Olds' first P-51 kill was in Scat #5, but other sources say the P-51 was Scat IV, including Olds' own book. Could it be that Scat IV was a replacement P-38 for Scat III and not a P-51, his first Mustang actually being Scat #5? Was the serial number for the aircraft Flemming killed in incorrect and 43-28341 continued to fly as Scat III until it was replaced by Old's first P-51?

As you all can see, I have spent way too much time obsessing over this, and desperately need your help. Any information, photos, book excerpts, or anything else anyone can throw my way about Scat III in particular, and Robin Olds in general, would be greatly appreciated. Thank so much everyone!

Last edited:
Sidebar: There's a Facebook WW II page with the question whether Robin was the only pilot to make ace in both the 38 and 51. (Versus scoring in both types.) He did in fact hold that distinction. He hadn't thought about it until I mentioned it to him--and he didn't seem to care very much!

P-38 s/n 43-28341...

Hey Fubar57:

Thanks for this information. The preponderance of the evidence is suggesting that Scat III was gone by the time Robin Olds had his successes with the P-38. The book "The 479th Fighter Group in World War II" by Terry A Fairfield was just recently pointed out to me. It, as well as several others, agree with your serials and the loss of Scat III.

"The 479th Fighter Group in World War II" also lists a Scat IV as a P-38 coded L2-W, but no other information on this aircraft. However, Robin Olds' book says his first P-51 was Scat IV, and he got his first Mustang kill in it. Other sources say his first Mustang kill was in Scat #5. The book "Stars and Bars" by Frank Olynyk shows that Old's two victories on 8/14 were in L2-B, and his 3 victories on 8/25 were in L2-W. We know that Scat II, Scat #5, Scat VI and Scat VII were also coded L2-W. This means that it is possible that the P-38 Olds used on 8/25 was Scat IV. However, if Robin Olds is right, and Scat IV was a P-51, then the L2-W P-38 he flew on 8/25 could have remained unnamed.

It looks like I should shift my search from Scat III to finding the true identity of Scat IV.

Sidebar: There's a Facebook WW II page with the question whether Robin was the only pilot to make ace in both the 38 and 51. (Versus scoring in both types.) He did in fact hold that distinction. He hadn't thought about it until I mentioned it to him--and he didn't seem to care very much!
Hey Barrett:

I never thought of that. I'm not sure if Olds is the only ace on both P-38 and P-51, but it would be interesting to look into. Thanks for the thought.:)

With the information coming in, it has become apparent that I need to shift from Scat III to the identity of Scat IV.

Was Scat IV the P-38 coded L2-W that "The 479th Fighter Group in World War II" identifies or was Scat IV a P-51 as Robin OIds and "Stars and Bars" suggests. If Scat IV was a P-51, then the P-38's flown by Olds after Scat III went down were unnamed or borrowed until his P-51 arrived. If his first P-51 was Scat #5, then we can have Scat IV as a P-38.

Truthfully, I have no Idea where to find proof of this as the resources available to me contradict each other entirely. Does anyone have any suggestions?

SCAT IV P-38 Markings.png

Last edited:
Well Glenn wish you luck inn your endeavors I have the Academy kit of his F-4 but am looking to build some of the lineage to that point all in 1/48.I have seen I think ScatX in an F-80 maybe?A real interesting fella the first "Maverick" or one of the few. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back