SBD-3 and F2A-3 Propellers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Tom A. Hawk

Recruit
Feb 27, 2022
Hello,

I'm looking for an aftermarket or spares box source for 1/72 and/or 1/48 propellers for an SBD-3 (with spinner) and an F2A-3 (without spinner). Any ideas...?

I'm trying to convert an old Monogram SBD into a -3. I think it is most like a -4, but I want to do a more authentic representation of a Midway dive bomber.

By the same token, I'm looking to convert a Tamiya F2A into a -3 model, again for Midway. No spinner, cuffed blades.

Thanks in advance for any help!

The SBD-1, SBD-2 and SBD-3 had a different propeller from the SBD-4 and the later ones. The "3" had the Hamilton Standard Constant Speed counterweight prop used. The blades of this propeller had a different shape (more pointy at tip) from the ones used for the "4" with the tips of different radius. The "4" had the Hamilton Standard Hydromatic prop of blades more wider at tip. The props of the SBD-3 were either with the spinner or without.

The prop for the SBD-3 was of 10ft 9inch in diameter while the SBD-4 one was of 10ft 10inch. The SBD-3 prop could have the spinner or not becuase it was often removed in service. So if you have a picture of the orginal aircraft you want to replicate it's worth to check on that.

SBD-3 on left and SBD-4 on right.The shape of the prop blade can be notoced. Also the prop hub.
sbd prop.jpg

SBD-1 to SBD-3 props
sbd prop1-3.jpg

the pic source: the net.

Hello,

I'm looking for an aftermarket or spares box source for 1/72 and/or 1/48 propellers for an SBD-3 (with spinner) and an F2A-3 (without spinner). Any ideas...?

I'm trying to convert an old Monogram SBD into a -3. I think it is most like a -4, but I want to do a more authentic representation of a Midway dive bomber.

By the same token, I'm looking to convert a Tamiya F2A into a -3 model, again for Midway. No spinner, cuffed blades.

Thanks in advance for any help!
There are aftermarket props for the Republic P-43 which would get you close.

There are aftermarket props for the Republic P-43 which would get you close.
That can't be too big a market. I'm guessing there are some "standard" sizes for those classic planes that are no longer stocked?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back