searching for J2M series blueprints and tech data, as much as possible

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nick Marich

Airman
May 26, 2022
Serbia
I'm searching for general stuff. tech and usage manual, Blueprints, measurements, materials used, as much detailed engine performance as possible, landing gear system, trim arrangement, radio setup, instrument static pressure and pitot tube points, vacuum pump placement.... in short, all the info I can get for a J2M, as if I was trying to build one from scratch

Nick: You're probably going to have to go hard core and learn to read Japanese to get a significant amount of info. There are several books, but in Japanese on the J2M, and at least one in English. I've got several Japanese books on various aircraft and they are almost detailed enough that a good aircraft fabricator could come pretty close on building the structure. My books all came direct from Japan, when my dad was traveling over there for work and were very hard to find. You would do well to find and cultivate a contact in Japan to help search for them. Unfortunately,all of mine are all packed away, so I don't know if any of them cover the J2M.

Nick: You're probably going to have to go hard core and learn to read Japanese to get a significant amount of info. There are several books, but in Japanese on the J2M, and at least one in English. I've got several Japanese books on various aircraft and they are almost detailed enough that a good aircraft fabricator could come pretty close on building the structure. My books all came direct from Japan, when my dad was traveling over there for work and were very hard to find. You would do well to find and cultivate a contact in Japan to help search for them. Unfortunately,all of mine are all packed away, so I don't know if any of them cover the J2M.
sheesh, I see.. I do have friends in Japan here and there, I'm sure they'd be up to help me out with it. at that point I'd need to get names of the books and materials if anything, so I'm able to source them. if you have any leads, or ever get the chance to check the books out, do let me know! :D and thank you for replying, it's very kind of you and you definitely gave me at least a lead, if nothing

I would suggest finding the books .. especially the Maru Mechanic no.43.

FAOW61.jpg
M6110.jpg

MM43.jpg
MA470.jpg

BTW: To help when doing online searches, use as basic nomenclature as you can, and then do slight refinements as you screen thru the first several pages of results. In this case, I'd start with " J2M aircraft book " and go from there, and then pop over to "Images" rather than "All"

Here is one possible source to be in contact with:

BTW: To help when doing online searches, use as basic nomenclature as you can, and then do slight refinements as you screen thru the first several pages of results. In this case, I'd start with " J2M aircraft book " and go from there, and then pop over to "Images" rather than "All"
thank you for the tips. currently searching far and wide to see if I manage to find some PDFs of the books. I did find one, the "Famous aircraft of the world" one. maybe with a bit of luck I find the rest too. after that, it's just a matter of ... *sigh* translation xD

well. it would seem I have ran out of luck book wise, at least when it comes to sourcing them myself. if anyone has any kind of info available, or knowledge to share on the subject, I'd be very happy to recieve it. thank you for your efforts gentlemen.

If I was him, I would start with these 3-view drawings before going into details with FAOW.

View attachment 670845View attachment 670846
Source: "精密図面を読む(Best Collection)" by Minoru Matsuba
oh my god thank you so much. these are absolutely great. now I just need Engine details, materials used and some tech data here and there like how the landing gear system worked.

these will definitely create a great basis

oh my god thank you so much. these are absolutely great. now I just need Engine details, materials used and some tech data here and there like how the landing gear system worked.

these will definitely create a great basis
Manual with drawings for Type 100, 1,450 hp. engine(Kasei-11). Not Kasei-23 for the J2M but structure and material can be known.

To understand above, the following books are needed -

IJA/IJN Aviation Material Standards (Steel)

IJA/IJN Aviation Material Standards (Copper and its alloy)

IJA/IJN Aviation Material Standards (Copper for rivets and wires)

IJA/IJN Aviation Material Standards (Aluminun and its alloy)

The basic structure of the J2M looks almost same as the A6M.

J2M's landing gear
J2M_landing_gear_03.JPG

J2M_landing_gear_01.JPG
J2M_landing_gear_02.JPG

Source: Mechanic of World Aircraft aka Maru-mecha

A6M's for references
A6M_landing_gear_01.JPG
A6M_landing_gear_02.JPG
A6M_landing_gear_03.JPG
A6M_landing_gear_04.JPG
A6M_landing_gear_05.JPG

In my last post, "IJA/IJN Aviation Material Standards (Copper for rivets and wires)" was wrong.
It should have been read "IJA/IJN Aviation Material Standards (Steel wires including rivets and tension wires)"
Sorry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back