Shark Mouth Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here's a couple that are interesting.

First one is a wooden decoy V1 that was captured by the British. I've seen a photo in the past of an actual one sitting by a farmhouse, I'd love to come across that one again, it was exceptionally cool.

captured_wood_V1_decoy.jpg

This next one will have some folks scrambling to figure out. :lol:

USTT[720].jpg

To be honest, I am not sure about this particular Defiant, but I do know there were two in USAAF service at Bovington, attached to the 11th CCRC, 326th BS, 8th AF. Those two had a yellow and black patterned underside with a two color upper, RAF style light green/dark green colored scheme.

The sharkmouth Defiant pictured above doesn't appear to have that scheme.

The Defiant might be TT1, serial number DR945. This was one of two loaned to 8th AF at Bovingdon, operated over the gunnery school at Snettsiham, Norfolk, before being passed to the 94th BG at Bury St. Edmunds for some months, returning to the RAF in August 1944. In a photo shown in 'B-17 Groups of the 8th AF', the aircraft is without the shark mouth, but this might have been added by the 94th. The yellow and black undersides can just be discerned in the photo posted in post #201 and, although it lacks contrast, the two-tone upper colours are probably there also.

I definately see something on the underside, but it doesn't look consistant like the yellow/black diagonal pattern. Could be the over-contrasted condition of the photo, too.

It might be worth a deeper search to find out more...I might even give it a shot later this evening. Hopefully, something can be dug up (better pics, better info, etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back