Skins...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well you can use the blank skin and edit it with photoshop. I've made my attempts...
First you need to remove the white from the void available in all skin folders, with a special filter you can download. You do this so you can work with layers under the void so as not to affect the panel lines etc.

you could always make a copy of the void and edit that one and when you need the lines for the panels just put the original on top of the copy one and use the remove white filter. it works for me and well my attemps are pretty good.

Tip: If anyone is using Photoshop, select all in the void, copy it and create a new one in RGB. Then, use the remove white filter and when painting the skin, create a new layer and set the layer as multiply so you can paint under the panel lines. After that you just put some effects on the skin, save it as CompuServe GIF in 256 colors with no dither, run MS Paint and save it as a 256 BMP. It will still save the color information. It was pretty helpful for me.

ONE_HELLCAT, get a plugin called "Mac's Remove White".

You can create a layer from your Void file, place it to the top, and run Mac's remove white.

It'll leave the panel lines and rivets intact, but allow all lower layers to show through.

Normally, I'll have an un-edited version of the Void at the very top layer (right above the removed white layer), but erase all but the parts I want to keep, such as wheels/tires, cockpit, engine, marker lights, etc...

So my camouflage and other edits appear through the "rivet" layer and then have the mechanical parts resting on top...

There's also a remove white utility called "Joe's remove white", but I haven't used it, so I can't tell you how well it works.

That's how everyone does it. I've just been using transparent schemes on different layers. So that way I could get dark colors on my Hellcat, but still let the lines and rivets show through.

Try Simmers Paint Shop tutorials on IL-2 skinning Hellcat. Very helpful in starting up. Also you might want to check out premade skins to be sure that you don't miss any white spots left that might ruin the skin.

Also, I'm still using my old Photoshop 7 to paint skins and aircraft profiles.

-Pong

im using Photoshop CS2, with the remove white effect.

Show offs :p I'm just joking, but I know what you mean. I often go back and forth to correct little annoying details, like lining up stripes on the tail or wings. I appreciate the tips.

Does anyone know if there are any skins that could be used to recreate a Spanish Civil War scenario? What I would be interested in are Condor Legion colour schemes for Bf 109Es, and any suitable schemes for I-153s and I-16s. I guess its to much to hope for but it would be fantastic if someone had come out with a mod for a Bf 109B-D. Also can anyone recommend a suitable map for such a scenario? Thanks in advance for any help.

There are many, many SCW skins out there. Check out flatspinman's Condor Legion campaign on M4today, that is extremely fun and comes with tons of skins, though it's only semi-historical.

As for maps, I believe someone was working on a spanish map in All Aircraft Arcade, but didn't complete it. Otherwise, check out the Italy map that at least looks Mediterranean.

ONE_HELLCAT, get a plugin called "Mac's Remove White".

You can create a layer from your Void file, place it to the top, and run Mac's remove white.

It'll leave the panel lines and rivets intact, but allow all lower layers to show through.

Normally, I'll have an un-edited version of the Void at the very top layer (right above the removed white layer), but erase all but the parts I want to keep, such as wheels/tires, cockpit, engine, marker lights, etc...

So my camouflage and other edits appear through the "rivet" layer and then have the mechanical parts resting on top...

There's also a remove white utility called "Joe's remove white", but I haven't used it, so I can't tell you how well it works.

Why would you wanna use that lol! You just put your layer options at Darken, Lighten, Overlay or Multiply! Or you can Desaturate (Image > adjustment > Desaturate) and you can use all dirt or anything else if you like!

BUT it takes more to make real good looking skins, learn PhotoShop (any version) and make some real cool combined skins! And maybe an idea, get rid of the real photo skins and try some cool colors :p Simple as wat! Need help PM me and i might help you out!

Only thing i wonder about! I cant find the real diff in Skins in the diff types of plane's! Aren't they all the same (like all bf109 types or all La-7 types) at the outside? I always copy paste all new skins in all the maps with same type names!

NastyDrZORN aka AdobeJunky!

@nastyDRzorn: if you copy a skin of for example an BF109-E and you place it in a bf109-G then the skin wont fill the whole plane (you get white pieces on the wings and hull), you have to recreate the skins for the type of plane you want, same goes for all the other planes.
and for the remove white filter, it saves some time on the skinning part.
i think most of us arent working with "cool colors" because we try to recreate real existing skins used worlwide in that era. (atleast i do)

sturmer

K k i understand (sorry for fast reply i was bored) about the colors lol!

I always make the skin color lardger than the needed space, cus ive never seen a white/wrong spot on my planes! But the remaining parts of the texture you can brush and cut away! I use a pentablet to add dirt and soot to the plain and if you adjust the contrast and tones you can get almost all of the pre made paint scemes (like top and bottum color) away from the painting!

I know i cant post or used some skins i downloaded, but i can post some for you so you guys c what i mean! Cus with PhotoShop you can do it all! And i just like to make plains wit scemes i made myself :p

Why would you wanna use that lol! You just put your layer options at Darken, Lighten, Overlay or Multiply! Or you can Desaturate (Image > adjustment > Desaturate) and you can use all dirt or anything else if you like!

BUT it takes more to make real good looking skins, learn PhotoShop (any version) and make some real cool combined skins! And maybe an idea, get rid of the real photo skins and try some cool colors :p Simple as wat! Need help PM me and i might help you out!

Only thing i wonder about! I cant find the real diff in Skins in the diff types of plane's! Aren't they all the same (like all bf109 types or all La-7 types) at the outside? I always copy paste all new skins in all the maps with same type names!

NastyDrZORN aka AdobeJunky!
For someone wanting to learn skinning, the Remove White method is an great way to get panels and rivets. Once they get the hang of skinning, then they can move onto a higher degree of detail, such as layered white/black panel lines, rivets and rivet shading in multiple layers, etc.

So using the Remove White utility on a void layer is a good recommendation. It works well both in Photoshop and Paintshop.

As far as using one skin for various models goes, you can, but there are wireframe variations between the models, such as the verticle stabilizer to rudder hinge differences on the Bf109, fuselage height differences between the P-51 B/C and D models and so on.

And this is what happens when a Bf109 skin gets applied to a Me262:

Attachments

• LD_262haywire.jpg
    LD_262haywire.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 123
Tnx lol, tough i found that out already as i put a skin of a B24J in side the Bf109 dir lol. But were can i find the wire frames? I work with 3Dmax also and i would like to check my skins outside iL-2 or at least check out were some parts are, as some of the parts are not on the void!

Not sure where you can find the models, perhaps try some of the forums where they've been working on the mods.

There are a few objects that aren't modelled from the skin, like the gunpods for the Bf109, but are resident in a different section.

When I am mapping a new skin, I usually place a colored grid graphic in a new layer and then check the temporary skin in a paused Quick Mission. That's how I found a few flaws in the He111 and Ju87G models.

Here's one of many screenshots of my Ju87G "Afrika" project while I was "mapping" various points on the frame.

Attachments

• point_02.jpg
    point_02.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 132

Users who are viewing this thread

Back