Stirling W7539 crashed on St Nazaire raid

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Trying to find any photos or additional information on Short Stirling I, serial W7539, coded MG-K, 7 Squadron. Took off 28 June 1942 from Oakington for St. Nazaire, apparently bombed on Gee, then crashed or shot down in the Bay of Biscay.

My Great-Uncle Reg was aboard as an observer (some sources say gunner), survived the crash but died of hypothermia......

I pulled out Middlebrook and Everitt The Bomber Command War Diaries: 28/29 June Minor Operations, It reports only 14 aircraft to St-Nazaire, 4 Lancasters minelaying in River Gironde, 1 Stirling on the St-Nazaire raid was lost. I have a couple of multi volume histories on bomber command. There are some websites out there with more information. Also, there is this site which I have not used: Aircrew Remembered Video Home Page

Is there anything to say what this aircraft had been doing in the 24 hrs prior to this raid. Did the aircraft bomb up normally or light load/markers only ? I would ask these questions, in case the aircraft had been to Tempsford or Stradishall. Both bases were involved in SOE work. Is it possible, that such a small raid, was a feint/cover for SOE- related activity elsewhere. ?

I don't think it was a feint because of the lack of other activity on that night/morning (see my reply above) but the database that probably has the most information is:

Losses Database - International Bomber Command Centre

Good luck. If you read one of the detailed operational history (compilations) like Shores' Bloody Shambles then it becomes apparent that in many cases there was very little known or recorded. I did find some web pages about 7 Squadron histories but most of the information was from later (c. 1944) when they had converted to Lancasters.

I don't think it was a feint because of the lack of other activity on that night/morning (see my reply above) but the database that probably has the most information is:

Losses Database - International Bomber Command Centre

Good luck. If you read one of the detailed operational history (compilations) like Shores' Bloody Shambles then it becomes apparent that in many cases there was very little known or recorded. I did find some web pages about 7 Squadron histories but most of the information was from later (c. 1944) when they had converted to Lancasters.
Thanks; I think I'd previously found this site, but I appreciate all leads - living in Australia it's a little harder to access some archives. I did upload a photo to their record of Reg. So I thought I'd share it here too, in case it is of interest to others.....
Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 09.46.59.png

If you provide details of name and rank then it will be easier to search. A lot of young men killed! No Moon Tonight is a heartbreaking account.

If you provide details of name and rank then it will be easier to search. A lot of young men killed! No Moon Tonight is a heartbreaking account.
Appreciate the help; his details are Sgt. Reginald Woollard, service number 1381873. I've Googled what I could that's available free, I think my next step (maybe should have been my first) is to contact my English relatives and try to see what they might have.
But I thought on this forum there might be some details from other sources (eg: crew members' relatives) that might recognise the serial number. Three other crew died in the ditching/crash, and the remaining three were POW. Crew details below; I also have AIR 27-99-11 (Operations Record) which details basically that they didn't return, and nothing else was heard after take-off.
I guess just hoping for any thread that might tell me more, or maybe find a photo of their Stirling with the crew in it......
There was at least one other Stirling with the same MG-K call-sign that was a little more 'famous' as far as photos go (Airfix even offered it as a kit-set model), but sadly that wasn't the one my Great-Uncle flew in.....
W7539 crew record.png

There is this book which is available through Amazon. No. 7 Bomber Squadron RAF in World War II. Evidently 7 Bomber Squadron was well known and you might search to see if there are any squadron reunion records. You could also check to see if the German side has any record of this incident. The book contains the following. It is only 9.99 US for a Kindle copy.

1611417612859.png

Hello Brian
For some years, I have been going to two cemeteries where 4 of the crew are buried and paying my deep respects at the graves of each. I have photographs and been adding information each year. It is easier for me to post the link to my Facebook page:

Go to Facebook and search for: donald.gray.73700/posts/1668213619919028

I am happy for you to download any of the photographs that I have put there and use them as you wish.

Two days ago, I visited Sgt James Tait's grave in Penestin, Brittany, France and yesterday, I visited the graves of the rest of the crew who are buried in La Boule 12 miles away.
I may have more information for you later

Thank you Opto-Mystic, I really appreciate the effort you have put in to remember the fallen...... I have been able to purchase a scanned copy of the file kept on the crash from the UK National Archives - it is humbling to think what these young men went through....... I hope all of our lives today are worthy of their sacrifices. And to think this crew was just one of many thousands who gave the same.......
I have attached just one page of the file, describing the crash in detail from a survivors perspective, Sgt. Jones
Story of survivor.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Opto-Mystic, I really appreciate the effort you have put in to remember the fallen...... I have been able to purchase a scanned copy of the file kept on the crash from the UK National Archives - it is humbling to think what these young men went through....... I hope all of our lives today are worthy of their sacrifices. And to think this crew was just one of many thousands who gave the same.......
I have attached just one page of the file, describing the crash in detail from a survivors perspective, Sgt. Jones View attachment 677482......
In my haste posting this, I originally said the statement was by Sgt. Harrison - this is my mistake as it is written by Sgt. Jones, concerning Sgt. Harrison - my apologies if this has caused any upset to anyone, as sadly Sgt. Harrison died in or shortly after the ditching.

In my haste posting this, I originally said the statement was by Sgt. Harrison - this is my mistake as it is written by Sgt. Jones, concerning Sgt. Harrison - my apologies if this has caused any upset to anyone, as sadly Sgt. Harrison died in or shortly after the ditching.
No need to apologise. I have been contacted by a relative from Sgt Wollard in New Zealand
I have photographs of the Cemetery log book. I will put them up as soon as I can find them.

Brianwnz
I hope you don't mind, I have inverted the certificate and enlarged it. This is how it would have been viewed but in those days they could not photocopy in positive, only negative.
I have further documentation but it may take a little while to find it.

View attachment 677556
No problem at all Opto-Mystic, lol perhaps I'm showing my age by not thinking why some pages were like that..... I purchased the entire file copy if pages of that would interest you; it's all individual pages but I can put it together in a single file and use Google or OneDrive to share it - the original file is AIR 81-15803 if you are ever in the UK - it is at times informative, sad, touching and shocking...... But the actions of those young men on the night leave me in awe of what they went through. I'd be interested to know of the NZ relative..... as they must surely be a relative of mine too (I'm from NZ originally) :)

Welcome to the Forum, Opto-Mystic. In case you are wondering about the bacons in post 11 above you have earned several bacons for that post - the highest award on this forum members award for a posting

It is always nice to see a new member who is a contributor

For all that do not know - if you have an inverted image the fast way to convert it is to download Irfanview and open the image.

Pressing Control+Shift+N simultaneously converts the negative to a positive and you can save it like that. To resize press Control+R.

I have never tried this but Irfanview includes a batch function that can probably convert a complete folder of negatives in one pass.

Welcome to the Forum, Opto-Mystic. In case you are wondering about the bacons in post 11 above you have earned several bacons for that post - the highest award on this forum members award for a posting

It is always nice to see a new member who is a contributor

For all that do not know - if you have an inverted image the fast way to convert it is to download Irfanview and open the image.

Pressing Control+Shift+N simultaneously converts the negative to a positive and you can save it like that. To resize press Control+R.

I have never tried this but Irfanview includes a batch function that can probably convert a complete folder of negatives in one pass.

Thanks for the info... I use Photoshop for 99% of my photo work :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back