Swivel Chair/Seat

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BFreer

Airman
Sep 24, 2020
This arrived last week a remote auction purchase. Advertised as an aircraft chair.

Only markings are K5 inked on the wooden base and stamped on the steel leg. The seat cushion is horse hair in hessian.
It has a steel and leather construction.

The 5 inch high drum is likely later to make it taller as it currently sits at normal seat height

The confusing things about it are - steel construction ; Seat Belt lugs above arms and infill leather panels between back and arms.

Not many chairs need a seat belt apart from cars and aircraft. It doesn't look motoring/truck/bus. 1930s style doesn't fit with steel in aircraft.

Style is very captains/helm chair but you don't need a seatbelt at a civilian desk. I am also told that merchant vessels don't have seat belts on their seats/chairs. There were civilian swivel seats on Pullman coaches but again no seat belts.

Only vehicle I know with K5 designation was a K class submarine that sank off the Scillies.

Similar - but also very different to WOPS seat on a Boeing Clipper.

I don't think it is aircraft but anyone recognize anything similar or other suggestions ?

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG