The best secret agent EVER

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Aggie,

>Prepare to be amazed.

Hm, the really amazing thing for me is that the guy escaped to Britian in a Hornet Moth biplane, and Micdrow just posted a British wartime document on various oil samples, including ...

"Sample No. AIR 343

Lubricating Oil from a British "Tiger Moth" flown from Denmark October 1943. Plane lying at Turnhouse, Scotland. Particulars on label: DH Moth, OY-DEH, Engine Type: Gypsy. Landed 19.10.1943. Tank from which taken sample undamaged."

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/engines/fuels-documents-5142.html

Now a Hornet Moth is not a Tiger Moth, but I still wonder if that is the same plane (and what made you two post this with only days in between :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Pretty cool. Wack the dude with an arrow. Actually, that is pretty hard to do. Head shot? Arrows tend to lead to bleeding wounds.

Be interesting to see the details.

That reminds me ALOT of a Frederick Forsythe (?) book....the part about flying in the fog and climbing out on the wing to refuel the plane....hmmmmm....

One wonders: if this guy were so daring and successful, why haven't we heard about him before? Why would the only guy to interview him decide to publish the book now, when the operative in question has conveniently passed away and can no longer refute/confirm the stories?

That reminds me ALOT of a Frederick Forsythe (?) book....the part about flying in the fog and climbing out on the wing to refuel the plane....hmmmmm....

Reminds me of Smith and Ulm's oil transfer experience of 1935...

Treasures : Item : Charles Ulm and Charles Kingsford Smith
When the port engine began losing oil, Taylor shuffled out along the strut under the starboard wing to the dead engine to collect its oil in a thermos flask, passing it to Stannage in the cockpit, who emptied it into a leather suitcase. Repeating this several times, he stepped out under the other wing and filled the ailing port engine from the suitcase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back