The What is it? Game

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

20200913_200611.jpg

Try this one...

G'day Jim.
Immediate thought was Soviet - but no.
Fixed undercarriage?
American Racer?

Yours Sincerely,
Stumped.

Thanks, Jim!

That was a great challenge, the only reason I got it so fast, was because of reading up on the history of Potez a few years back.
The B&W photo doesn't do it justice, the aircraft is actually a gorgeous blue color.

Anyway, once again, if anyone would like to take my turn, go for it :thumbleft:

Yes, I agree! It was in the preface of the original French language edition of the Polikarpov I-16 book I received for free, though it was curiously absent from the English language edition. Perhaps appealing to gallic pride?

In the photo (from the net), you can just make out morning reflections on the propeller arc.

Cockpit.PNG

Twin piston machine.

A few more clues then Jim.
British.
Originally built as a 3 seat advanced trainer.
Low powered - wiki says maximum speed around 180 mph.
Post war - the cockpit and nose were reconfigured to explore the prone pilot position.

Reid and Sigrist RS.3?

I'd never have got there except for the prone pilot clue....there aren't many British types that were configured to evaluate that configuration (the Meteor is the most famous, and the airframe still survives at Cosford). I'd never heard of the RS.3 before today....once again the Forum educates!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back