The What is it? Game

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not anti-jamming per se, but resistant to jamming.

Resistant to jamming.
An EMP is not jamming.

Jamming is a counter frequency that obstructs a user from receiving a transmission on a particular wavelength.

An EMP is a burst of energy, like a nuclear weapon (manmade) or a Coronal Mass Ejection (from the sun) and is capable of disabling solid state electronics.
Tube-type devices and "wound coil" electronics are more resistant (but not immune to direct proximity) to these broad frequency electromagnetic events.

Wuzak - I am going to give it to you for sheer determination.
It was a PR XVI. NS631 / A52-600
This one. The photo was taken in Wodonga, Victoria, Australia around October 1983.
A few years later it was "swapped" for a C-47 and a few P-51 wings. The swapping was done by one of the three owners without the consent of the other two owners.
View attachment 649987

I just said the one that was in Canada.

Should have read the "under restoration" part!

An EMP is not jamming.

Jamming is a counter frequency that obstructs a user from receiving a transmission on a particular wavelength.

An EMP is a burst of energy, like a nuclear weapon (manmade) or a Coronal Mass Ejection (from the sun) and is capable of disabling solid state electronics.
Tube-type devices and "wound coil" electronics are more resistant (but not immune to direct proximity) to these broad frequency electromagnetic events.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Sorry, for using the wrong term. Tubes maybe more resistant to certain bursts of electromagnetic energy. :)

I believe that Soviet avionics did not have as many IC chips, in modern jets, due to lack of technology. They relied on vacuum tube technology. They still make vacuum tubes. 🤔

I believe that Soviet avionics did not have as many IC chips, in modern jets, due to lack of technology. They relied on vacuum tube technology. They still make vacuum tubes. 🤔

Actually it is not true. The lack of the techology .. I can make you sure that they have the same one like the USA. Just their stuff is as simple as possible. And that's the difference.

I'm sure you know the answer, what is this item in this Japanese plane?

Attachments

• device (SMALL).jpg
    device (SMALL).jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 24
I think that they lagged behind the US in chip technology. Anyhow, their vacuum tubes are excellent. 👍

At the beginning of 80' the regiment I serviced, was re-equipped with Su-22M4. Most of electronic systems there were built using the chip technology. Also most of our ground navigation devices including the radar station I worked on, were of the same. It was 20 years ago and the stuff was the export variant only. Russians used much better equipment for their own units. I dread to think what they use for their modern stuff today. Unless I'm wrong.
I agree that the vacuum tubes are very nice and useful electronic parts. Especially if these have to work with the high voltage for high power, microvaves etc...
What is more these are more resistant to the EMP. Most of our spare semiconductor diodes, transistors and chips had to be keep in lead capsules and metal boxes.

It's a gyrocompass or just a magnetic compass type 2 or 3 KAI. The recatangular "screen" at its top is a kind of a mirror or prismatic reflector to see the instrument indications. The enlarged shot shows the device interior IMHO.

device gyro.jpg

Also see the link ... Compass, KAI, Air Navigation Reflector, Japanese Navy Aircraft

Users who are viewing this thread

Back