The What is it? Game

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ah, that's an easy one.

It's the Barber's pole, attached to the tail of the prototype Barber - Shop BS-1 carrier-borne light attack bomber, which attempted its first flight in February, 1951.
Unfortunately, due to this "aircraft" being a two storey, brown-stone building, with a gross weight of 22 tons, it failed to get airborne, and was wrecked.
As far as I know, the image posted is the only known surviving record of this project.
Damn, this particular bottle of cabernet Sauvignon is good ........

Ah, that's an easy one.

It's the Barber's pole, attached to the tail of the prototype Barber - Shop BS-1 carrier-borne light attack bomber, which attempted its first flight in February, 1951.
Unfortunately, due to this "aircraft" being a two storey, brown-stone building, with a gross weight of 22 tons, it failed to get airborne, and was wrecked.
As far as I know, the image posted is the only known surviving record of this project.
Damn, this particular bottle of cabernet Sauvignon is good ........
Best reply I have seen in a long time

In all seriousness, it looks like a tail-hook on an F-15.
Good guess but sorry, not an F15.
A few clues...
Not what you would normally expect to see on this airframe (No...Not Terry ! :) ) It's single engined and sits low to the ground

hmm...what single engine aircraft has twin wheels on the back? some strangely modified Harrier II Plus (AV-8B) for arrester hook trials?

Regards
Jagdflieger

Last edited:
And we have a winner...well done mate :). This is the U2 on display at Moffett Federal Airfield and she was used in Operation Fish Hawk, the only aircraft carrier launched spy mission ever. Normally pretty hard to get to see but when you turn up in 5 Warbirds, you tend to be let in :)
And that's my better half having a looksee on the inside...I didn't get a complete pic of the airframe :)

Attachments

• DSCF0151.jpg
    DSCF0151.jpg
    693.5 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF0152.jpg
    DSCF0152.jpg
    783.8 KB · Views: 17
And we have a winner...well done mate :). This is the U2 on display at Moffett Federal Airfield and she was used in Operation Fish Hawk, the only aircraft carrier launched spy mission ever. Normally pretty hard to get to see but when you turn up in 5 Warbirds, you tend to be let in :)
And that's my better half having a looksee on the inside...I didn't get a complete pic of the airframe :)
darn it, this was the first aircraft I checked - but never assumed that the arrester-hook would be in the middle of the aircraft.o_O

Regards
Jagdflieger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back