Thoughts on the Handley Page H.P.47?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Admiral Beez

Captain
Oct 21, 2019
Toronto, Canada
The Handley Page H.P.47 first flew in May 1937, as Britain's first single-engined, monoplane torpedo bomber. This was four months after the first flight of Japan's Nakajima B5N Kate and two years after the 1935 first flight of the US' Douglas TBD Devastator.

8176L.jpg

Does the H.P.47 have any redeeming qualities? Unlike the B5N and TBD this was to be a land based torpedo bomber, but still, given that the Douglas TBD has been out for two years, what was Handley Page thinking? I suppose it would have been a better torpedo platform than the Westland PV.7.

The Handley Page H.P.47 first flew in May 1937, as Britain's first single-engined, monoplane torpedo bomber. This was four months after the first flight of Japan's Nakajima B5N Kate and two years after the 1935 first flight of the US' Douglas TBD Devastator.

View attachment 613531

Does the H.P.47 have any redeeming qualities? Unlike the B5N and TBD this was to be a land based torpedo bomber, but still, given that the Douglas TBD has been out for two years, what was Handley Page thinking? I suppose it would have been a better torpedo platform than the Westland PV.7.
The only positive I can see is it wouldn't kill more than two people in service.

Whoops, first flight was 1934, not 1937. Maybe that gives Hanley Page some leeway from our disdain. Does that make the H.P.47 the first ever single-engined monoplane torpedo bomber?

Last edited:
Looks like a single engine Hampden. It's odd that it just has rectangular sections of corrugated panelling. 1 between the crew positions and another on the tail fin. The rest of the fuselage looks flush metal. I wonder if the corrugated section of the fuselage was meant to be removable.

Last edited:

View attachment 613531

Wiki says it flew in 27 November 1934 without spats or Townsend rings. I wouldn't expect much from a 650hp Taurus.

The main criticism I would have is the 3 legs used to support each wheel but consider that its forerunners were biplanes.

Without retraction there is lots of room for fuel in the wings. Its redeeming feature is a Range: 1,250 mi (2,010 km, 1,090 nmi) on a 650hp engine.

Looks like a single engine Hampden. It's odd that it just has rectangular sections of corrugated panelling. 1 between the crew positions and another on the tail fin. The rest of the fuselage looks flush metal. I wonder if the corrugated section of the fuselage was meant to be removable.
I wonder if having a modeler's eye helped you notice that.

Last edited:
To be honest, I find this a massive embarrassment. All these companies had been designing aircraft for years, yet any notion of basic aerodynamics, use of modern technology, inspiration, anything was just thrown out of the window, ignored and/or forgotten.
Strapping a torpedo to the bottom of a DC2 would have been better than these

Users who are viewing this thread

Back