Tomcat forever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

VA5124

Senior Airman
Apr 8, 2021
I really wish we had kept the tomcat it was a very good plane could still hold its own today. Shes fast and very armed carrying AIM-54s plus a cannon and a bombload if you need her to. There was no need for the F-18 anything it can do the tomcat can better LONG LIVE THE TOMCAT YOU WILL BE MISSED

Money i know it always gets in the way . But still wish we would have kept her in use and not bulit the F-18 (not saying i hate the hornet just like the cat better is all )

After the post-Cold War drawdown and resulting reductions in budget, that just wasn't going to happen.

It was a great plane and beautiful to watch. For about 6 months, I lived off the end of the runway at NAS Memphis in Millington, TN, and got to watch Tomcats circling into the landing pattern, breaking condensation over their leading-edges as they pulled tight into the pattern. They were, in the very-overused word's original meaning, awesome; they inspired my awe with their aerial grace.

I like the Hornet as well for its maneuverability, although it's an ugly plane to look at in my eyes. But I get that one crew, one engine, and no VG wing means it provided much of the F-14's capability while saving a boatload of money. I think you could fit more onto a flattop too, nd have extra attack capability in so doing until the F-14B came onto the flightline.

But again, money. And that matters.

ETA: F-14D, not -B, for ground attack.

Last edited:
Hey VA5124. You really should check out Ward Carroll's YouTube channel. He flew in F-14 Tomcats. He has lots of great stuff on the F-14!

I too wish they kept the Tomcat. When Grumman lost the F-14D contract, the economy here on Long Island tanked.

Bookmarked and thanks, Rob!

ETA: Love any guy who plays a Les Paul/Marshall guitar rig! Upgrading "like" to "bacon" fo sho.

Last edited:
Hey VA5124. You really should check out Ward Carroll's YouTube channel. He flew in F-14 Tomcats. He has lots of great stuff on the F-14!

I too wish they kept the Tomcat. When Grumman lost the F-14D contract, the economy here on Long Island tanked.
I'll have to look at that you know 4th gen jets are coming to war thunder so ill get my cat soon

I really wish we had kept the tomcat it was a very good plane could still hold its own today. Shes fast and very armed carrying AIM-54s plus a cannon and a bombload if you need her to. There was no need for the F-18 anything it can do the tomcat can better LONG LIVE THE TOMCAT YOU WILL BE MISSED
First, the latest bock F/A-18s are miles ahead of the F-14 in terms of combat capability, maintainability and operational costs. It WAS a great aircraft in it's day but the sun has set on the aircraft. Second, I worked with people who maintained them in their later years and these folks, airframers, powerplant folks and avionic guys (AKA "Trons") were relieved to see the F-14 go. Pull the Top Gun tape out of your VCR, the sequel comes out this summer!

First, the latest bock F/A-18s are miles ahead of the F-14 in terms of combat capability, maintainability and operational costs. It WAS a great aircraft in it's day but the sun has set on the aircraft. Second, I worked with people who maintained them in their later years and these folks, airframers, powerplant folks and avionic guys (AKA "Trons") were relieved to see the F-14 go. Pull the Top Gun tape out of your VCR, the sequel comes out this summer!
I would say you could put an F-14 in to any fight you put a hornet in and it would still win and do it faster than a hornet considering we have AIM-54s you dont

My understanding is that the maintenance on them was very intensive per flight-hour. And yep, that means money.

Hope ARTESH ARTESH jumps in on this thread to provide perspective from the only foreign-nation user. It's my understanding that the plane was the mount of several Iranian aces during their war with Iraq in the 80s. I think they still have five or six still operational?

I would say you could put an F-14 in to any fight you put a hornet in and it would still win and do it faster than a hornet considering we have AIM-54s you dont
I see your youthful testosterone is getting in the way of good judgement. First, ask your self why the AIM-54 isn't deployed anymore? It isn't because the F-14 went away, the system became obsolete.

This is from another forum and very well put - READ AND UNDERSTAND THE LAST PARAGRAPH!

The F-14 was a good aircraft, especially in terms of raw power and has generated quite a fan base (courtesy of Top Gun). However, it was really maintenance intensive and ageing quite fast. The F/A-18 Hornet has 50% fewer parts compared to F-14 Tomcat, and is very reliable. The A-6 was retired in favor of F-14 and F/A-18, although neither of them could match A-6's range and payload but outclasses it in every other aspect.

The F-18E/F Super Hornet is a much better replacement for F-14D. It has much more advanced avionics suite. The APG-79 AESA radar on F-18E is more capable than Tomcat's APG-71 MSA radar. The AMRAAM has much better performance than AIM-54 Phoenix, especially against maneuverable targets (Fighter aircraft) likely because AMRAAM was originally designed to be used against agile fighter aircraft in contrast to Phoenix's originally being designed for large bomber size aircraft. The AIM-120D also matches the Phoenix's long range.

The F-18E also has better Ground/Surface attack capabilities (especially in SEAD missions) because of smaller RCS (F-14 comparatively had a Huge radar signature), better avionics (SAR capability, ECMs, etc.) and greater payload + wide range of armament (giving it anti-ship capability). So F-18E Super Hornets have overall better Air-Air and Air-Ground capability than F-14D Tomcat. After the end of Cold War, sooner or later the F-14 had to retire largely because of its maintenance issues and lack of versatility – it was good at only one thing, Fleet defense against Soviet Bombers (and to an extent enemy fighters).

The F/A-18 is a multi-role aircraft, meaning that it can do both Air-Air and Air-Ground operations simultaneously. In fact, it is the first aircraft to shoot down enemy fighters and subsequently bombing enemy targets on the same mission. This happened during the Gulf War, when 2 F-18 Hornets shot down 2 Mig-21s while carrying four 2000 lb bombs each.

Sure, the F-18E doesn't have Tomcat's speed and range but it doesn't need to. Designing an aircraft is always about trade-offs, sacrificing x in order to get y. This entire "Jack of all trades, master of none" notion is flawed in 21st Century. Name a single Fighter designed in the last 20 years which isn't 'multi-role'? Rafale, EF Typhoon, Gripen, Su-35 – ever heard of them? Having multi-role aircraft is not only economical and efficient but a crucial factor when you've limited space.

US Navy can carry 80–90 aircraft on a Carrier. If I've an Air Wing of A-6, F-14 and F-18E Super Hornet (in addition to EW, AWACS, logistics, etc. platforms), then it would make sense to replace A-6 and F-14 with F/A-18s squadron. The F/A-18E Super Hornets are capable of fulfilling the roles of both A-6 and F-14 almost better or equally while providing better Strike and Defensive capability to the fleet. The resulting F-18E squadrons will be far more effective than a mix of A-6, F-14 and F-18E. Keeping F-14D squadron when you've F-18E Super Hornets is a serious waste of crucial space, money and resources while sacrificing overall capability.

I see your youthful testosterone is getting in the way of good judgement. First, ask your self why the AIM-54 isn't deployed anymore? It isn't because the F-14 went away, the system became obsolete.

This is from another forum and very well put - READ AND UNDERSTAND THE LAST PARAGRAPH!

The F-14 was a good aircraft, especially in terms of raw power and has generated quite a fan base (courtesy of Top Gun). However, it was really maintenance intensive and ageing quite fast. The F/A-18 Hornet has 50% fewer parts compared to F-14 Tomcat, and is very reliable. The A-6 was retired in favor of F-14 and F/A-18, although neither of them could match A-6's range and payload but outclasses it in every other aspect.

The F-18E/F Super Hornet is a much better replacement for F-14D. It has much more advanced avionics suite. The APG-79 AESA radar on F-18E is more capable than Tomcat's APG-71 MSA radar. The AMRAAM has much better performance than AIM-54 Phoenix, especially against maneuverable targets (Fighter aircraft) likely because AMRAAM was originally designed to be used against agile fighter aircraft in contrast to Phoenix's originally being designed for large bomber size aircraft. The AIM-120D also matches the Phoenix's long range.

The F-18E also has better Ground/Surface attack capabilities (especially in SEAD missions) because of smaller RCS (F-14 comparatively had a Huge radar signature), better avionics (SAR capability, ECMs, etc.) and greater payload + wide range of armament (giving it anti-ship capability). So F-18E Super Hornets have overall better Air-Air and Air-Ground capability than F-14D Tomcat. After the end of Cold War, sooner or later the F-14 had to retire largely because of its maintenance issues and lack of versatility – it was good at only one thing, Fleet defense against Soviet Bombers (and to an extent enemy fighters).

The F/A-18 is a multi-role aircraft, meaning that it can do both Air-Air and Air-Ground operations simultaneously. In fact, it is the first aircraft to shoot down enemy fighters and subsequently bombing enemy targets on the same mission. This happened during the Gulf War, when 2 F-18 Hornets shot down 2 Mig-21s while carrying four 2000 lb bombs each.

Sure, the F-18E doesn't have Tomcat's speed and range but it doesn't need to. Designing an aircraft is always about trade-offs, sacrificing x in order to get y. This entire "Jack of all trades, master of none" notion is flawed in 21st Century. Name a single Fighter designed in the last 20 years which isn't 'multi-role'? Rafale, EF Typhoon, Gripen, Su-35 – ever heard of them? Having multi-role aircraft is not only economical and efficient but a crucial factor when you've limited space.

US Navy can carry 80–90 aircraft on a Carrier. If I've an Air Wing of A-6, F-14 and F-18E Super Hornet (in addition to EW, AWACS, logistics, etc. platforms), then it would make sense to replace A-6 and F-14 with F/A-18s squadron. The F/A-18E Super Hornets are capable of fulfilling the roles of both A-6 and F-14 almost better or equally while providing better Strike and Defensive capability to the fleet. The resulting F-18E squadrons will be far more effective than a mix of A-6, F-14 and F-18E. Keeping F-14D squadron when you've F-18E Super Hornets is a serious waste of crucial space, money and resources while sacrificing overall capability.
It is very capable though besides as much as we spent buliding them might s well use them besides have you seen a better looking jet

Did other manufacturers even try developing the capability of carrying/using the AIM-54?

In US service there were two confirmed launches of AIM 54s, both missing the target.

I'd assume that the lack of use was because of the cost of the missiles, they weren't all that reliable, and rules of engagement would probably limit missile launches to short/medium ranges where other missiles are more effective.

The F/A-18E Super Hornets are capable of fulfilling the roles of both A-6 and F-14 almost better or equally while providing better Strike and Defensive capability to the fleet. The resulting F-18E squadrons will be far more effective than a mix of A-6, F-14 and F-18E. Keeping F-14D squadron when you've F-18E Super Hornets is a serious waste of crucial space, money and resources while sacrificing overall capability.

... and -- you reduce the training load on your airedales, and your supply-chain for spares.

In another thread yesterday I did call out multirole a/c as being a hodgepodge, but I do agree that the Super Hornets seem to have avoided the jack of all, master of none coffin-corner.

Did other manufacturers even try developing the capability of carrying/using the AIM-54?

In US service there were two confirmed launches of AIM 54s, both missing the target.

I'd assume that the lack of use was because of the cost of the missiles, they weren't all that reliable, and rules of engagement would probably limit missile launches to short/medium ranges where other missiles are more effective.
So ours missed Iran didnt have that problem

It is very capable though besides as much as we spent buliding them might s well use them besides have you seen a better looking jet
The only use for them now is to be put in museums and on poles, their continued use would be a waste of money and resources just to satisfy some nostalgia - the F-14 is obsolete and in my last post it was CLEARLY shown why.

Buy you ticket early for Top Gun: Maverick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back