Two Lancs .... and the Vulcan!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Although I posted some Lanc shots first, they didn't actually display until the mid-point of the show.
A new Spitfire XVI opened the proceedings, roaring in at low-level, before providing a beautiful, smooth display. This aircraft only completed its first flight in May of this year, and Little Gransden was one of its first display outings (Possibly the first display appearance).
The aircraft is finished in the '3W' markings of 322 (Netherlands) Squadron, RAF, as their MkIX's would have looked in late 1944, and the sound of that Merlin was pure bliss !

Attachments

• LG 43.jpg
    LG 43.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 74
  • LG 44.jpg
    LG 44.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 72
  • LG 45.jpg
    LG 45.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 60
  • LG 46.jpg
    LG 46.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 74
  • LG 42.jpg
    LG 42.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 62
  • LG 47.jpg
    LG 47.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 68
  • LG 48.jpg
    LG 48.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 75
  • LG 49.jpg
    LG 49.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 59
  • LG 50.jpg
    LG 50.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 76
  • LG 51.jpg
    LG 51.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 78
  • LG 52.jpg
    LG 52.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 61
  • LG 53.jpg
    LG 53.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 59
Next to appear, in what was a very smoothly-run show, were some 'local' acts, with aerobatics from the solo Pitts Special, and the RV8 formation.
The Pitts was flown by a 27 year old young lady, who only gained her PPL five years ago, and she put on a great display of aerobatics.

Attachments

• LG 20.jpg
    LG 20.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 72
  • LG 21.jpg
    LG 21.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 61
  • LG 22.jpg
    LG 22.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 66
  • LG 23.jpg
    LG 23.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 60
  • LG 24.jpg
    LG 24.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 71
  • LG 25.jpg
    LG 25.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 64
Fantastic photos Terry, thanks for posting!

@Grant - I'm nowhere near the skill level of Terry and Karl with 'flying' shots, but my girlfriend will try and film them with her smart phone. Hopefully Vera will be able to fly soon, as (according to the airshow itinery aleast...) the lancs will be present on both days of the show (...?) Be bloody magic if that is true!!!

Oh WOW Terry, it's times like these I wish I'd never left Blighty. Fantastic shots…………..all of them.

Thanks Evan and Vic, glad you like them.
The last few for today, as my connection is still slow, and up-loads are taking ages.
One of the Duxford-based Fennecs came over and did it's bit, with the pilot showing his appreciation for the crowd's applause, by doing a slow pass, rocking his wings, before departing.
The Fennec is, of course, an up-graded, up-engined, N.A. T-28 'Trojan', modified in France, and used in the French Algerian conflicts, for ground attack work. This example is finished in a colour scheme representative of those used in the Training Wing on the French mainland, operational examples being in 'bare metal'.

I'll post more pics sometime tomorrow (Sunday), given I still have 'net connection.

Attachments

• LG 26.jpg
    LG 26.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 54
  • LG 27.jpg
    LG 27.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 58
  • LG 28.jpg
    LG 28.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 76
  • LG 29.jpg
    LG 29.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 65
  • LG 30.jpg
    LG 30.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 58
  • LG 31.jpg
    LG 31.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 57
Thanks Erich. It would have been better still if I'd set the exposure compensation the right bl**dy way!
As far as air shows go, the display axis was slightly different to normal. The airfield is a small grass strip, surrounded by fields, and access to the line of the runway is not possible. Consequently, the crowd line, and therefore the display axis, was around 45 degrees to the runway, which meant photography could be slightly tricky at certain angles, due to trees, telephone wires and poles etc, not to mention shooting directly into the sun at some angles.
However, the rapidly changing sky allowed for some nice atmospheric shots now and then, especially with the somewhat restricted Lancaster formation, which i hope to show later in this thread.

I have my connection back, but the forum seems to be running very slow, too slow to load pics, so I'll try gain later.

Thanks Hugh.
This little formation of 'spotter' aircraft put on a neat display, with the Cessna Bird Dog, N.A. (Ryan) Navion, and Auster AOP 11.

More to come tomorrow, including the Spartan Executives, and the Mustang.

Attachments

• LG 34.jpg
    LG 34.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 52
  • LG 35.jpg
    LG 35.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 50
  • LG 36.jpg
    LG 36.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 61
  • LG 39.jpg
    LG 39.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 52
  • LG 38.jpg
    LG 38.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 60
  • LG 40.jpg
    LG 40.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 64
  • LG 41.jpg
    LG 41.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 48
Beauties Terry. I had similar lighting challenges the last time I went to the Hamilton show with many of the displays being backlit. so much of the subject is in shadow against a bright cloud. Makes for tough shooting but you did an exceptional job, numpty or not.

Thanks very much Andy. As previously mentioned, it would have been better if I'd got the exposure compensation set the right way - or left the bl**dy thing alone all together!
Lesson learned though - I'll double check next time !!

Basically, you need to open up between a quarter and one stop, depending on range, subject etc - easily done on the 'old' 35mm SLRs.
This will allow the camera to expose for the subject, rather than the bright background and, given the subject is filling at least 3/4 of the frame, the background can still have enough contrast to be usable, especially if the exposure on the print was 'dodged'.
On current DSLRs, there is normally an 'Exposure Compensation' function, operating, in increments, in '+' and '-', which provides a similar 'service', although perhaps not quite as flexible as the 'old fashioned' way.
I'm still getting to know my Nikon, and can get quite frustrated at times as, being a lower-level DSLR, there are too may functions, aimed at simplification for the amateur, when I'd rather have basic controls instead.

Great stuff Terry. This is the problem with modern cameras, they do tend to over compensate with technology a bit much and a little of the art of good photography has been lost in translation. Those spotter types are an interesting mix; great idea for a display routine and well captured, too.

Thanks Grant. They put on a nice display, and the Navion was dancing around the sky like it's famous forbear!

Continuing with the show, and these neat Spartan Executives. These were the luxury 'biz prop' of their day, and certainly made a lot of noise, and the crossing break was a bit of a surprise move!
I'd love to have been able to get a peek inside one !

Mustang up next .............

Attachments

• LG 55.jpg
    LG 55.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 47
  • LG 59.jpg
    LG 59.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 57
  • LG 60.jpg
    LG 60.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 45
  • LG 61.jpg
    LG 61.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 58
  • LG 62.jpg
    LG 62.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 56
  • LG 63.jpg
    LG 63.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 45
Thanks for the info Terry. I do recall compensating on my old Pentax SLR and do get the principle but my Canon has so many buttons and knobs it's hard to remember the function that allows me to tweak the F-Stop.

Great photos again Terry! Never heard of the Spartan Executive before, but what a beautiful aircraft!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back