Unofficial Bf 109-x GB: 1/72 Bf 109H-1

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Working on port undercarriage well the other day. Sick at the moment though, so will continue when I'm feeling better.
Good and not so good. Hope your not too sick and will be well soon. Is it a flue or virus type bug you have! :D

Cheers guys. Docky thinks it's Sinusitis, though I have other symptoms not related to that. Not much fun whatever it is.

Finally made a start on the cockpit walls.

The PE parts are very small, and my failing eyesight isn't helping, but unpainted parts are attached.
I was thinking to liquid mask the positions of the prepainted parts to maintain a clean surface for them to be attached to post painting. Do you guys do that?

Anyhoo, the walls so far.
20240211_171932.jpg

I love my PE, fiddly but good results. As for preparing the surface, I just do the initial paint and scratch a clear area for the PE, I also give the PE contact surface a scrape with a rough sanding stick so I get better adhesion. :thumbright: :D

Last edited:
Cheers Vic, might just do that then.
My biggest problem with PE is the size of the parts. Many are microscopic in 1:72! Can be very tricky bending and attaching such parts, especially with failing eyes!

Cheers Vic, might just do that then.
My biggest problem with PE is the size of the parts. Many are microscopic in 1:72! Can be very tricky bending and attaching such parts, especially with failing eyes!
Have to agree for even in my preferred scale1/48 I sometimes give up with the really small bits like levers. Over time I've found ways of working with these, like folding over the small round bits on levers to give the handle effect, I'll do this while the lever end is still attached to the PE frame, then glue it and paint it. I also sometimes punch a fine hole in the inst panel where the lever is going and maybe fine drill it so that I have a holding point for the lever. As I've said, fiddly but to my mind worth it. :thumbright: :D

Working on cockpit floor at moment, a bitser: modified Revell G-10 floor and control column, Academy G-14 seat, and MPM and Eduard PE, plus scratch. Pics up when done.

Still working on floor guys. In my usual way, things added as 'good enough' then replaced to look 'correct'. Modifying an Italeri 109F-4 seat at moment to replace the Academy G-14 I had in. Will look alot better.

Last edited:
Not much to show for the time, but different things are in progress.

This is the assembled 109H-1 cockpit so far, warts n'all.
-Seat (modified Italeri 109F-2/4) is to be cleaned up yet, and seatbelts etc added.
-Cockpit floor is modified Revell 109G-10.
-Back plate is sheet styrene.
-MG 151/20 breech cover is spare from an Aires 109G-10 detail set.

PE details to be added yet, plus control column, etc. once seat and floor cleaned up.
20240220_234417.jpg

20240221_000005.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back