Upcoming....GB 62 - Spitfires (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
I have many Spitfires but my choice will be a Mk.Vb from Operation Starkey, 16 August/9 September 1943. Not a lot of Spitfire photos from this operation. This is the one Wojtek posted for me 5 years ago. Not sure what colour the dark patch under the nose is yet

1712166243841.png

I may have a dabble. Has anyone any experience with these?
1712173823654.png

The ICM Spits are tricky. I've built 3 of them and all the builds are on this site. No issue with dihedral but wing fit is tough and the cowls could be tricky. The decals may be garbage.

As for GB 62 I have an Eduard Mk V Trop. Might hit you up for some Beurling info Geo.

If I have time, once the B-24 diorama is done, I may enter something.
In 1/48th scale I have another Mk1, plus MkV, MkXII, Mk.XVI (bubbletop), Mk.XIV and Mk.22/24.
In 1/32nd I have the Revell Mk.II plus a resin correction kit and prop, exhausts etc, and it'll probably be this one I enter, to complete my 1/32nd scale Spitfire collection.

Just went through 64 Sqn. ORB for Operation Starkey dates and the Vb that is listed in decal sheets, W3320 is not shown on strength. The only aircraft in the W series is W3766. As is in 99% of the time, no codes are given so I'll start entering all the serial numbers and hope for the best

Found my new aircraft after several hours, SH⦿V, s/n BL614. No pics while serving with 64 Sqn

Edit: as was 64 Sqn wont, the codes are V⦿SH

Spitfire Mk.Vb SH-V of no. 64 Squadron RAF after landing at Hornchurch, Essex, May, 1942.
Spitfire-MkVb-RAF-64Sqn-SHV-after-landing-at-Hornchurch-Essex-May-1942.jpg

Spitfire-MkVb-RAF-64Sqn-SHV-after-landing-at-Hornchurch-Essex-May-1942_.jpg

Spitfire-MkVb-RAF-64Sqn-SHV-after-landing-at-Hornchurch-Essex-May-1942_a.jpg

Also you may try to watch the film there. You may notice her in the background ...

or here ...

Great video, and some interesting details.

The Squadron CO appears to be wearing a Luftwaffe life jacket.
A Boston landing in the background.
The painted grass areas, designed to look like hedgerows and trees, from the air, as camouflage.
The Stampe SV4 was of particular interest. The Belgian pilot, Baron Michael Donnet, escaped from Belgium in 1941, in a Stampe SV4B, and he served on 64 Sqn at the time of the video. I wonder if the Stampe shown was the one he "liberated" ?

Thanks. Seen those. I was looking for the aircraft in Operation Starkey markings. I know it flew at least three Ramrod sorties and three Circus sorties

My stash of Spits flow-ith over. I have to make a decision or two. Like many, I will probably do two. My decision stack!

G62 decisions.jpg

Leaning toward doing the MK.I as the first. Toss up on the choosing from markings available in kit; BoB, pre-war or op Dynamo? Most likely the same 'trees' that Karl is using but the kit that I have also includes a staff car. Got to have wheels! If the same plastic (kit 61119), sans car, then I don't know what Karl is using for the 609 details?? This is the box art for the 25211 kit. Don't want our builds getting mixed up :rolleyes:

Tamiya 25211 box art.jpg

Also, Karl, where did you find an Airfix MK.24??. I can find a 24 by Eduard but not Airfix, Just curious!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back