US Firm To Build World’s Largest Commercial Transport Plane

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Couldn't an LTA heavy lifter do the job? There is an established pro around.
Hello Luftschiffbau Zeppelin!

It would need to be a huge vehicle. The Airlander 10 was the basis for the US Army's LEMV program. It can only lift one blade for a 3.0 MW blade.

To my mind (FWTW :)) the main problem with VHL (Very Heavy Lift) LTA transports is the weather and atmospheric conditions. I have no real idea what speed a modern LTA heavy lift vehicle could travel at in still air, but it would have to be able to avoid heavy weather - by flying around or over(under?) even moderately serious heavy weather. In theory there would be a practical limit in altitude (based on the structure and payload vs the gross lift of the gas envelope volume) above which the heavy lifter could not ascend. I do not know enough about the structural weights and such to give any numbers.

Those of you more familiar with the civil and military aviation industry can maybe answer these questions:

What would be the max altitude needed to get above heavy weather to about the same degree as airliners?

And how often would this be necessary for a trip that could be upto halfway (or more?) around the world?

Weather during landing and launch periods would also be a concern, as would handling and protection on the ground. Would it be practical on a VHL LTA vehicle of the size we are thinking of to recompress the helium while on the ground? That would create a HTA airframe when not in flying trim and might solve the potential weather effect problems while on the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back