VF-88 24 July 1945

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

RWGWAG

Airman
Dec 7, 2019
I have read many dates on which the letter tailcodes replaced the g symbols on Navy aircraft in 1945. I've seen 24, 25, 27, and 28 July 1945 as the date they were ordered.

My question is, on 24 July 1945, was VF-88's CO Malcom Cagle's F6F-5 wearing the g symbol or letter tailcodes? He was flying F6F-5 "F-26, BuNo 79592" that day.

Note, the Air Group 47 CAG reported difficulty in forming up after the Kure strike on 24 July due to the new letter codes, but that is the only evidence I see of anyone talking about the letter codes for that day.

Can anyone bring clarity to this? Would Cagle's F6F had the g symbol or RR tailcode?

Check out post #8 in this thread. Lots of great information there concerning VF-88 and when the tail codes were first applied. Looks like VF-88 was still using the triangle pattern during the attack on Kure that day.

Question on Unit Markings

Rich is one of our most respected members and really has a handle on all things pertaining to WWII US naval aviation, so you can rest assured that anything he posts comes from an official source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back