What Annoyed You Today? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My sinus allergies have been bothering me. When I crawl under my airplane to work on it, my gyros tumble and I even had to knock off work on a couple of days. So today I went by Walmart to buy some Sudafed. I had to wait in line at the pharmacy and hand over my driver's license to buy the stuff. I remarked to the guy at the counter, "Tons of Fentanyl pouring over the border and we have to show ID to buy that stuff." He replied that the Fentanyl did not prevent people from being able to cook up some meth with the Sudafed. Well, which do we want? The homemade meth was not killing people as badly as the Fentanyl is, and I strongly suspect we are talking about the same users. No one seems to be doing anything about the Fentanyl, which is a problem of a magnitude that deserves some B-52 strikes south of the border, but we are still handing over our IDs to buy OTC medicine.

Bureaucrats!

t's Thursday. Not a problem, in and of itself.......except I was convinced it was Friday......... sigh
I liked going on TDY on Wednesday or Thursday. It was like Friday came early.

But if you went TDY on Monday and came back on Tuesday or Wednesday, it was like having two Mondays.

The Titan guys went TDY to Denver on Wednesday or Thursday and would spend the weekend there snow skiing.

So they told us we could not go on two day TDYs to San Diego so that we would not spend the weekends there snow skiing. That's being "fair" military style.

Many, many years ago, pre-railroad, I woke up late. In a panic, I rushed through the morning routine. I ran out of the apartment to get to the subway. As I get close to the station, there's hardly anyone around. It was Saturday.
Years ago, in the height of summer we finished early and went into the hotel bar. Our boss went to his room, came back 4 hours later in his best bib and tucker briefcase in hand wanting to know what the feck we were doing in the bar. He had dozed off, woke up, thought it was 6 in the morning not evening and got ready for work again.

New owner at my wife's job is forcing out all the older, experienced staff and replacing them with younger, inexperienced workers. Their clients are beginning to notice that the service they have become accustomed to is lacking.
Sure, you can reduce payroll, but if you alienate your client base you are going to lose a lot of money.
Wife is considering her options.

New owner at my wife's job is forcing out all the older, experienced staff and replacing them with younger, inexperienced workers. Their clients are beginning to notice that the service they have become accustomed to is lacking.
Sure, you can reduce payroll, but if you alienate your client base you are going to lose a lot of money.
Wife is considering her options.
New owners cutting off nose in spite of face, shocking.

Hope the wife finds a better option soon.

Brings back (bad) memories of about 12 years ago, some munchkin came in and razored 300 people off the organization (yours truly included) without caring what they did or who they were supporting. Total idiotic rookie move, the loss of institutional knowledge bit them (and him) in the ass so hard they canned him six months later, too late as it turned out as the company then imitated the Titanic quite nicely.

Couple of contracts ago, there was a management faction that thought they were going to run over the union, bust it and be big heros to corporate management. When the smoke cleared a few months after the strike, corporate cleaned house of everyone in the faction and those that sucked up to them. Cost the company a lot of millions of dollars to settle a number of improper firing claims and some rather nasty employee harassment suits. When things are so bad, your primary customer talks to the CEO about them coming in and cleaning corporate's house, if things were not corrected and fast, they tend to listen.

A&P food stores tried that back near the end of their days. A 59 year old cashier worker, who began with A&P in her youth, was encourage to retire. She wanted to wait until age 62 for Social Security. One nite when I asked where she was, I was told she was moved to the back to unload trucks in the warehouse. She was eventually transferred to the Slidell store, about 45 minutes away! I don't know if she made her 62 goal before the A&P chain folded. This was the company that advertised "open 24 hours a day", but not all in a row. The store near me was closed between 11pm & 1am for cleaning and restocking - lights were on and employees inside but doors locked and no customers. I was glad they went belly up.

Snow. Quite a bit. Actually, snow this late is fairly typical this time of year. 3 days ago I was cycling on bone-dry roads, a week prior I had to call 911 to report a grass fire along the CP Rail main line. now, It's all under snow. In a week, it'll probably be dry enough to burn again.....

Just to note, the improper firings and harassment was by management, of union employees. Fortunately, the corporate lawyers were smart and quite sensitive to the optics if any of these suits went to trail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back