What is the Best Beer in the World Poll

What is the best beer?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I am no longer a drinker of beer or any other spirits. But I do remember the
beer we use to get in Nam...... God it was awful, but it was all we could
get..... San Miguel ! Guaranteed to be aged at least 12 hours. It was
GREAT.... for cleaning stopped up drains, or removing rust from anything
made of metal. We drank it out of sheer boredom or because it was all
there was. When the Navy ships came in we'd get stateside beer, mostly
Blue Ribbon (PBR ?). Compared to San Miguel...... it was wonderful !

As an aside, there was a Cuban beer I remember from GTMO and Havana.
Hatuey was it's name and it had a pictue of a one eyed indian on the label.
After about five beers, the indian had two eyes !

Oh.... I voted for German beer. I do remember Lowenbrau !!!

Charles

Well aside from the cold one in my hand....When I can get
it Holstein, friend of my lil brother family used to own the
brewery in Germany, And for summer jobs those two went
over and were tasters.....But years later, I was in the land of
Roos and those dropdead gourgeous Aussie women and the pub
I was in didn't have a beer I recognized, so being a polite Texan
I asked the barman what he recommended...wait for it...'Well
Yank we drink Fosters' and he handed me this liter oil can of Fosters.
I tried to point out to this gent that us southern boys, don't like
bein called Yank - About this time, I am catchin a pretty good buzz,
so I gave up and just watched the Babes down on the shore! When
I finally made it home, I had to special order the stuff for a couple of
years...but it can be found pretty widely now.

Thats funny that he offered you a Fosters because most Aussies that I know and I believe all the Aussies on this site will tell you that Fosters is not the preffered Aussie Beer.

You could be right about that, but then I wanted a cold one and I guess
that was one he couldn't get rid of... At that time, I was 19 and in a very sstrange place.
Think of the confusion I would have cause if I asked for
a DP ( remember this is the mid-70s) - My brother who I mentioned previously
was selling DPs to the Germans for mucho $$$....
When I left Texas, you couldn't get COORS south of Dallas...so we used to
load my Vega station wagon to the brim with cases of COORS and sell em to
the frat clowns in Austin for double the price. One day we got stopped by
the State Troopers and they pointed out that with a load like ours -
we could be charged with bootleggin...:shock: :!: Officer Fuzz told us to
load all the excess into his cruiser and we would call it even....
Being from a long line of Lawmen, I pointed out that if he was confiscating
the contraband, he was obliged to pour it out in our presence....
Long story short he tore up the ticket and we split the load....
We still made a killin and he probably did too...

Sad to see him go. He loved his work!

Beer critic Michael Jackson dies - Yahoo! News

LONDON - Michael Jackson, a leading world beer critic who praised the brews of Belgium and acknowledged he would never be as famous as "that Michael Jackson," has died. He was 65.

Jackson, known as "the beer hunter," died Thursday of a heart attack at his home in west London. His body was found by his house cleaner, Paddy Gunningham, his long-term partner, said Friday.

She said he had kept writing and traveling, despite suffering from Parkinson's disease, and that he planned to write a book about the ailment.

"He was simply the best beer writer we've ever known," said Tim Hampson, chairman of the British Guild of Beer Writers. "He told wonderful stories about beer, breweries and far away places. He told the story of beer through people, and he was humorous and erudite at the same time," Hampson told The Associated Press.

Jackson especially loved Belgian brews. His books "The Great Beers of Belgium" and "World Guide to Beer" introduced them to many export markets, including the United States.

By identifying beers by their flavors and styles, and by pairing them with particular foods and dishes, Jackson helped give birth to a renaissance of interest in beer and breweries worldwide that began in the 1970s, including the North American microbrewery movement.

His TV documentary series, "The Beer Hunter" — which popularized his nickname — was filmed around the world and shown in 15 countries.

He worked as a beer critic for more than 30 years, writing in newspapers and gastronomic magazines, holding seminars and giving speeches, appearing on U.S. talk shows and writing books about beer and whiskeys published in 18 languages.

Jackson knew he would never be as famous as Michael Jackson the rock star, and that was reflected on the beer critic's Web site. "Hello, my name is Michael Jackson. No, not that Michael Jackson, but I am on a world tour. My tour is in pursuit of exceptional beer. That's why they call me the Beer Hunter," it says.

Well here some pics from last night.

Went to the big Nurnberg Fest last night. Hung out in the Rock tent though instead of the traditional German Beer Tents. It was just as large as the traditional ones but they played music like AC/DC, Iron Maiden and Metallica and so forth instad of German Drinking Songs. It was a change of pace I guess and the band was really good for the atmosphere.

NurnbergFest01Sept07061.jpg

NurnbergFest01Sept07051.jpg

Adler - that looks like it was a damn good time... I'm jealous. we don't get out much at all anymore.

Yes it was a great time. Me and my wife went with several of our friends. First we walked around and ate some good food and rode a few rides and then we went and spent about 4 to 5 hours in the tent talking and singing and ofcourse drinking the good German beer.

I went to my cities annual "International Food Fair".

There was a German food tent, complete with a German band, playing traditional polka's and German and Austrian drinking songs.

And Adler..... I passed by the Budweiser "taps" and drank only the "Octoberfest" ale brewed up by a contract brewer (to German beer standards of course).

That beer tasted good in the 110F heat!

:lol:

I went to my cities annual "International Food Fair".

There was a German food tent, complete with a German band, playing traditional polka's and German and Austrian drinking songs.

And Adler..... I passed by the Budweiser "taps" and drank only the "Octoberfest" ale brewed up by a contract brewer (to German beer standards of course).

That beer tasted good in the 110F heat!

:lol:

You are slowly but surely learning my friend.

ya know Chris getting back to the Nürnberg table stompin pics............some should not be seen on tables. this is for quite buxum bikini clad Frauleins

Users who are viewing this thread

Back