Whats the speed of dark ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Even this might not be correct, and its about at this point that my head starts to implode. The theories about the exploding relative universe are about us also being in motion and expanding at a rate similar to C, so where does that leave us....buggered if i know....

Yep. Sucks to be in the dark. Buggered.

:evil4:

Well...as i was walking over to get the horse into the stable for the night, I was thinking about this topic and I think (therefore I am) I've got it cracked.

You see, according to our knowledgable scientific dudes with the big brains and even bigger calculators...the speed of light is 186,000 miles second (OK, I can just about get my head around that as its the speed my bank balance dissapears every month !) which is pretty fast.

Now we all know that light is the opposite of dark so it makes sense therefore that the speed of dark is the direct inverse of light !. Therefore, the speed of dark is the same as light but with a negative in front, i.e the speed of dark is MINUS 186,000 miles a second.

Only problem I can see is that no-one has been able to prove this, cos they need the lights switched on to check their instruments thereby instantly removing the dark. In fact...we will probably never be able to see how fast the speed of dark is cos its going away from us so damn fast that its gone before we get to see it........

You say that Light cannot have mass because it cannot and does not obey the accepted laws of physics.

Well hang on minute here. If the oppsosite of light is dark, what about dark matter (And Red matter..it does exist cos I saw it on the latest Star Treck Movie so I know its for real dontchya know !). If you can have dark matter then you should also have light matter (dont forget the inverse rule) therefore light can have mass....and I'm beginning to lose the plot at this point, so I'm off for another tinnie of the Amber Nectar from the cooler....

Last edited:
Hmmmm....so.....maybe the things that go "bump" in the night aren't really things at all, but dark matter bumping into something in the dark, because it can't see? Wow....it all makes sense now, and I can finally turn off my HelloKitty (tm) nightlight!

oh gosh......even the serious comments are weird in this thread.

For the record, the properties of light are not fully understood , and cannot be explained by any single theory. Since darkness is essentially the absence of light, its going to follow that our understanding of the properties of darkness are just as incomplete as they are about the properties of light.

For the record light displays some of the qualities of a particle, but by definition has no mass. This suggests, along with other properties of light that it has some properties of a wave.

Light cannot have mass because it cannot and does not obey the accepted laws of physics. If it has mass, einstein and others have proven that it would require more energy than is available to move even a tiny particle of mass. Moreover, as mass starts to approach the speed of light, "C" , its mass increases, until when it reaches the speed of light it has an infinite mass. Moreover, as mass approaches the speed of light, the passage of time for that mass would slow down, until by the time that "C" was reached, time for that object would actually stop. it has been theorised that if the object was somehow able to exceed the speed of light it might actually start to move backwards.

Light is not slowed or stopped relative to outside observation, but we have never been abale to travel at c so cannot know what is happening to time relative to the beam of light itself. We cannot tell if two beams of light shooting parrallel to each other, on parrallel course with each other, would see themselves or each other as two ships sailing parrallel to each other might be able to see each other.

Even this might not be correct, and its about at this point that my head starts to implode. The theories about the exploding relative universe are about us also being in motion and expanding at a rate similar to C, so where does that leave us....buggered if i know....

Dude, you are trying way too hard.

Besides, I think GeeDee has it. The problem with measuring the speed of dark, is all the measurements have to be done in the dark. Can't see the intstruments. So dark could have speed and masss and not be the absence of light at all. But everytime you turn on the lights, dark is already gone. Can't be measured.

You're forgetting if light has no mass and dark is it's direct opposite, should dark not have infinite mass? This probably means its really slow because of the law of slowness of mass.

Well, here's the real question...

Is the light on in the 'fridge before the door opens, or just as it opens?

And, if you open the 'fridge at night, with the kitchen lights off, does any dark get into the 'fridge before the door closes?

Well, here's the real question...

Is the light on in the 'fridge before the door opens, or just as it opens?

And, if you open the 'fridge at night, with the kitchen lights off, does any dark get into the 'fridge before the door closes?

AHA!!!! So THAT'S what's been eating my leftovers!!!!!!!!! Frikkin dark mass.....:evil:

A black hole is black only in the sense that nothing can escape from it to the outside, hence the term "event horizon". matter crossing the horizon can and does give off radiation, lots of it. however as the mass approaches the event horizon the increasing gravitational force distorts time and causes it to slow "for the mass" the deeper into the hole the slower time "for the mass" the mass on the other hand sees time speeding up for the outside. in the hole time would run infinitely slow thus the hole takes infinite time to form.
as to the speed of dark, since light is a stream of photons, shutting off the light means terminating the stream at the source. the last emitted photon would cross at the same speed as the first. and that speed varies with the media the photons travel in. there are media in which light travels at 1 m/s

Interesting subject...

But dark doesn't travel (or move in a perceptable fashion) since it's always present.

When you turn off the light in the room, the darkness seems to fill the room as the lamp shuts off, but in actuality the light diminishes from the darkness.

An analogy would be an empty glass. It is just a void until someone fills it with liquid. So you don't ask "how fast the void travels", you ask how fast the liquid fills the glass. The same could be said for pouring out the liquid. You don't gauge the speed the void of the glass increses, you measure how fast the liquid flows from the glass...

...and when it's been dark for a long time, it gets really really pitch-black dark??? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back