When did you first become interested in Warbirds?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

New text (not copy of the original) on the "Personal recollections" thread.

Doughboy, you fooled 'em all but good, mon! Will you now take that malicious smug grin off your face, Sir? :)

Guys, guys... You were not paying attention. As far as I recall Christian (Doughboy) said he is 12 years old during one discussion early on when he joined the forum few months ago...

I agree with posts above, it serves your credit for showing interest in aviation and actively participating the forum. Keep that way Christian.

Last edited:
Guys, guys... You were not paying attention. As far as I recall Christian (Doughboy) said he is 12 years old during one discussion early on when he joined the forum few months ago...

I agree with posts above, it serves your credit for showing interest in aviation and actively participating the forum. Keep that way Christian.

I've only been here about a month now, and still haven't read ALL the posts (think I'll never will, not even the more interesting one on "aerodynamics" Breaking News).

When he said that on his father, I tried to add up his father's age, and as I only needed to take my shoes off once, that meant that for DB I might not need baring my feet...

Hi everyone, I first became interested in warbirds a long time ago, almost 40 years I guess. However I did nothing about until 12 months ago when I met an arrogant know it all who was convinced that a Lancaster Bomber had crashed in the village in England where I grew up. I made a few enquiries just to prove him wrong but never expected to prove him so wrong! It was a B17G called the 'Tenny Belle' which went down in April 1944 only the navigator survived but then only to perish on his next mission.

With a bit more digging I managed to find the nephew of the radio operator and together we have been piecing bits together about the crew members and their families. I have tried to get information from the official archives in the US but as I am not a direct descendant (son/daughter widow etc) they are not able/willing to help me. Does anyone out there know of another source where I can find out more about the 'Tenny Belle' and her crew?

Anyhow since then I have become obsessed/addicted/fixated with anything military that flies, floats or kicks ass really.

Dasha

Dasha, I'm probably trying to teach Granny how to suck eggs, but I presume you know the Bomb Group and Squadron. Therefore, have you tried contacting the BG Assocaition concerned? In the little experience I've had dealing with a couple of US Veterans Associations, I've found them very helpful. BTW, welcome to the forum from up North, where it's a bit hilly compared to Thetford, but maybe not as attractive - nice town!

I have always been interested in WW 2 aviation.

My Dad flew B-17's out of Fogia Italy in the final months of WW 2. He was trained as a pilot, but I think he flew both as a co-pilot a pilot. He had 6 combat missions by the time the war ended. 3 were against "military targets" 3 were over cities. These findings I have in his old paper work. I have tried to contact the DOD for more info but a fire in the 50's had destroyed most of the info about his service many others......... He had stories of ME 262 attacks, that I can only begin to appreciate now.

I've climbed in static displays of WW2 aircraft including B-17's those guys who flew them had incredible courage! I look forward to flying in a B-17 when the cash available matches the opportunity :lol:!

C-ya

B

Last edited:
I have always been interested in WW 2 aviation.

My Dad flew B-17's out of Fogia Italy in the final months of WW 2. He was trained as a pilot, but I think he flew both as a co-pilot a pilot. He had 6 combat missions by the time the war ended. 3 were against "military targets" 3 were over cities. These findings I have in his old paper work. I have tried to contact the DOD for more info but a fire in the 50's had destroyed most of the info about his service many others......... He had stories of ME 262 attacks, that I can only begin to appreciate now.

I've climbed in static displays of WW2 aircraft including B-17's those guys who flew them had incredible courage! I look forward to flying in a B-17 when the cash available matches the opportunity :lol:!

C-ya

B
Welcome to the forum.

To be honest, I hadn't given it much thought, but for a 12 year old, you fit in well. There's people here (well, have been, but not anymore) that are older than you, that act half your age. :lol:

He has yet to experience adolescence (lol)...just kid'n , I agree, with an attitude like his, "Doughboy", will go far in this life. :lol:

Everyone, I'm back.

About the comments about the 262 thing, let me make this clear-This was my little brother's doing. He is a natural liar and a 13 yr old. I let him on my account because he was interested in airplanes. I shouldn't have, but I wanted to trust him.

I am sorry for the actions he took.

I haven't been on since before I let him on because my 3 yr old littler brother was (and still is) fighting ulceritive colonitis ( inflamation of the colon). Again, sorry for the trouble he caused, and hopefully we look back at this one day and laugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back