Why does the Breda 88 get shit on so much

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I know they might be off but they obviously would not fake anything

I said this the other day "Include the toxic cockpit fumes, the extreme heat or cold, sitting on a lumpy seat while restrained with belts that almost cut through your soaking wet flight suit and have a 300 pound woman sit on you every time you pull Gs - oh while breathing smelly oxygen through a face mask that smells like a prophylactic."

You can sit there all day and believe you're able to do all soughts of things in an airplane while flying these "toys", but without the external stimulus, the real sights and sounds, the g-loads on your body, the continued dull nausea feeling in your stomach and the real world visual contacts (suddenly passing inches under a wing at 400 knots that catches you so badly by surprise your whole body twitches, you almost let go of the stick and throttle while almost excreting urine and feces at the same time), you're basically participating in a fantasy! All of this effects the way you fly and you can't simulate that while sitting at your PC in the comfort of your room set to a comfortable temperature while your favorite band is playing in the background!!! I've flown in simulated aerial combat a few times (a total armature) and I can tell you that despite knowing at the end of the day it was all a simulation, there were times under certain maneuvers and conditions, my pucker factor went up 85%. If our resident F-15 driver Biff read this, I'll let him pipe in.

I'm a flight instructor and many years ago I took up a brgadacious little twerp who told me he knew how to fly all types of aircraft because of his flight simulator experience, he was quite annoying and obnoxious. Well after getting in the air, performing very mellow 30 degree bank turns and a couple of stalls, the kid was almost puking. I really didn't want to do anything that wild as I didn't want to discourage his interest in flying and aviation, but I think he learned a lesson.

I hope you get the picture now!

As far as the Breda 88? TOTAL GARBAGE! The aircraft was under gunned, under powered and basically a death trap. They were actually used as decoy aircraft when Italian airfields were attacked!!! IMO the absolute worse combat aircraft of WW2!

Let's turn this into a lesson. You are in luck kid, there are some real knowledgable people here.

Let's start with performance 101.

What do you know about aircraft performance? What makes a plane fly, and what affects performance.

Not insulting your intelligence here. These are serious questions, and I think we can really turn this into a valuable teaching opportunity here.
I know little to nothing about jet engines
with propeller planes, the propellers are pitched so it pushes the air backward kinda like swimming I imagine. Then the ailerons change the direction of the airflow. The rear-looking ailerons make the plane go up and down since they have more leverage on the plane. I know radial engines have better engine power but are not aerodynamic. I am a bit iffy on this one but the more surface area of the wing of a plane makes it more maneuverable but slower since it has more drag.
I probably know more stuff I know but that's like the gist of stuff I know

Let's turn this into a lesson. You are in luck kid, there are some real knowledgable people here.

Let's start with performance 101.

What do you know about aircraft performance? What makes a plane fly, and what affects performance.

Not insulting your intelligence here. These are serious questions, and I think we can really turn this into a valuable teaching opportunity here.
Can I give you double bacon ratings for this? Well done.

I said this the other day "Include the toxic cockpit fumes, the extreme heat or cold, sitting on a lumpy seat while restrained with belts that almost cut through your soaking wet flight suit and have a 300 pound woman sit on you every time you pull Gs - oh while breathing smelly oxygen through a face mask that smells like a prophylactic."

You can sit there all day and believe you're able to do all soughts of things in an airplane while flying these "toys", but without the external stimulus, the real sights and sounds, the g-loads on your body, the continued dull nausea feeling in your stomach and the real world visual contacts (suddenly passing inches under a wing at 400 knots that catches you so badly by surprise your whole body twitches, you almost let go of the stick and throttle while almost excreting urine and feces at the same time), you're basically participating in a fantasy! All of this effects the way you fly and you can't simulate that while sitting at your PC in the comfort of your room set to a comfortable temperature while your favorite band is playing in the background!!! I've flown in simulated aerial combat a few times (a total armature) and I can tell you that despite knowing at the end of the day it was all a simulation, there were times under certain maneuvers and conditions, my pucker factor went up 85%. If our resident F-15 driver Biff read this, I'll let him pipe in.

I'm a flight instructor and many years ago I took up a brgadacious little twerp who told me he knew how to fly all types of aircraft because of his flight simulator experience, he was quite annoying and obnoxious. Well after getting in the air, performing very mellow 30 degree bank turns and a couple of stalls, the kid was almost puking. I really didn't want to do anything that wild as I didn't want to discourage his interest n flying and aviation, but I think he learned a lesson.

I hope you get the picture now!

As far as the Breda 88? TOTAL GARBAGE! The aircraft was under gunned, under powered and basically a death trap. They were actually used as decoy aircraft when Italian airfields were attacked!!! IMO the absolute worse combat aircraft of WW2!
yeah obviously the effects of flying are very different even when flying RC planes it is not the same
and the 3 50 cal bredas make the armament average no?

But that affects the performance of a plane (among a million other reasons) and why you should never use a computer game to rate an airplane.

Bust out a performance chart and compare your airplane to another one at various alltitudes. What about handling characteristics at specific speeds, configurations, conditions, and altitudes?
bro Idk how to find those especially about Italian planes
when I go to Italy this year do I have to ask some old guy if he knows where it is

yeah obviously the effects of flying are very different even when flying RC planes it is not the same
and the 3 50 cal bredas make the armament average no?

3 50s are ok providing you can get the plane in the air and fight with it! This aircraft was barely able to get out of it's own way!

pops-paolo,
If you are building the flying model you showed pictures of, then you should study and learn some aerodynamics before flight. Many books available and use the library if you don't want to buy them. Knowing how the plane actually flies will help in construction with relation to the forces on the structure. I suspect if a certain "expert" elsewhere on the forum had actually built flying scale models of his favorite plane, he would not be so certain of his "facts".

pops-paolo,
If you are building the flying model you showed pictures of, then you should study and learn some aerodynamics before flight. Many books available and use the library if you don't want to buy them. Knowing how the plane actually flies will help in construction with relation to the forces on the structure. I suspect if a certain "expert" elsewhere on the forum had actually built flying scale models of his favorite plane, he would not be so certain of his "facts".
you talking about my macchi?

bro Idk how to find those especially about Italian planes
when I go to Italy this year do I have to ask some old guy if he knows where it is

Everything is online. In fact I bet someone here can probably find the data for you. You just have to ask. People here are always willing to help. The next question is do you know how to read and interpret it?

Where are you going in Italy? I've been to Italy about a dozen times. It was easy though when it was just a 6-8 hour drive away. I always enjoyed vacationing in Italy. Especially in the Tuscany region.

I know little to nothing about jet engines
with propeller planes, the propellers are pitched so it pushes the air backward kinda like swimming I imagine. Then the ailerons change the direction of the airflow. The rear-looking ailerons make the plane go up and down since they have more leverage on the plane. I know radial engines have better engine power but are not aerodynamic. I am a bit iffy on this one but the more surface area of the wing of a plane makes it more maneuverable but slower since it has more drag.
I probably know more stuff I know but that's like the gist of stuff I know

This is actually a good start, it's not all correct, and over simplified but it gives our lil ground school a starting point. If you listen to the experts here, you'll get the hang of it in no time.

Also admitting what you don't know is the first step.

Hang in there kid, this is going to get fun.

Everything is online. In fact I bet someone here can probably find the data for you. You just have to ask. People here are always willing to help. The next question is do you know how to read and interpret it?

Where are you going in Italy? I've been to Italy about a dozen times. It was easy though when it was just a 6-8 hour drive away. I always enjoyed vacationing in Italy. Especially in the Tuscany region.
my mom is from Padova so we stay at her country house for a month in July but we visit different places in Italy like last time we went we went to Liguria and once we visited Portugal it has lots of cool order knights and castles

This is actually a good start, it's not all correct, and over simplified but it gives our lil ground school a starting point. If you listen to the experts here, you'll get the hang of it in no time.

Also admitting what you don't know is the first step.

Hang in there kid, this is going to get fun.
my dad worked for sicosky helicopters and helped design the X2

my mom is from Padova so we stay at her country house for a month in July but we visit different places in Italy like last time we went we went to Liguria and once we visited Portugal it has lots of cool order knights and castles

Nice. I miss living in Europe. I spent 27 years livibg there. My entire family still does. So I have done a lot of travelling throughout the continent, including Italy. If my career would allow it, I would move back tomorrow. Maybe someday.

Nice. I miss living in Europe. I spent 27 years livibg there. My entire family still does. So I have done a lot of travelling throughout the continent, including Italy. If my career would allow it, I would move back tomorrow. Maybe someday.
i was baptized in Italy and spent in total a year and 2 months there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back