Why Luftwaffe Didn't Have Any Four Engined Bombers....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Excluding transports and reconnaissance aircraft (like the Ju-290), few of the combatants in WW2 had four-engine bombers. The Germans did manage to make over 1,100 of the He-177, arguably a four engine aircraft.

Italy - Piaggio P.108 x 36 aircraft
Japan - Nakajima G8N x 4 aircraft, Nakajima G5N x 6 aircraft
Germany - Messerschmitt Me 264 x 3 aircraft
USSR - Petlyakov Pe-8 x 93 aircraft. They did manage to make 818 x Tupolev TB-3 aircraft between the wars (1932-37).
France - Bloch MB.162 x 1 aircraft, Bréguet 482 x 2 aircraft.

My point, picking on Germany for not having four-engine bombers is unfair, as outside of the UK and USA these are rare.

We all know the french were very adept to made ugly looking planes, but that is no reason to forget 90 so Farman 220 family :razz:

I missed another German four engined bomber in my list above, the Dornier Do 19. Three built.
We all know the french were very adept to made ugly looking planes, but that is no reason to forget 90 so Farman 220 family
True!

If the Germans need anything with four (or six) engines it's transports. Had Germany invaded Russia in June 1941 with a thousand or more Arado Ar 232 (shown below) and hundreds of Me 323 they might have been able to support their front lines.

Arado-Ar-232-3.jpg

This, and a large number of tracked all-terrain supply vehicles like the Maultier (seen below deplaning from a six engine Me 323), Raupenschlepper and Wehrmachtschlepper and six wheel drive Tatra 111 fuel carriers would have done a lot to overcome weather and logistical delays and keep the Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe marching eastward.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-559-1085-07%2C_Italien%2C_Flugzeug_Me_323_Gigant%2C_Opel_%22Maultier%22.jpg

Last edited:
Germany built 15,000 Ju 88s and 5,500 He 111s and they had to fill many roles in addition to bombing
Along with the Beaufighter and Betty, the He 111 was one of the most capable twin-engined torpedo bombers of the war, and AFAIK one of only two twin-engined bombers fitted for two torpedoes, the other being the Wellington.

Heinkel_He_111_torpedo_mounted_under_aircraft.jpg

Along with the Beaufighter and Betty, the He 111 was one of the most capable twin-engined torpedo bombers of the war, and AFAIK one of only two twin-engined bombers fitted for two torpedoes, the other being the Wellington.

View attachment 599452
I agree, but there were 6,000 Beaufighters plus over 1,000 Beaufort torpedo bombers produced and almost 12,000 Wellingtons and Warwicks. That is 19,000 aircraft both of which main types were replaced by better bombers night fighters an heavy fighters in the British inventory. Germany was also fighting USA and Russia.

Last edited:
An important factor in the creation of the Luftwaffe was the resources availability, beside the doctrine of supporting ground troops.

...and in a later post I said this...

The choice of building smaller twin engined aircraft was as much a matter of situation as much as the death of Wever, as I identified - 1, more could be built, 2, they could be built under the guise of transports, 3, available resources and time, 4, tactical doctrine.[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

The Germans were planning in 1939 on taking parts of Belgium and Holland before invading France (after they were done with Poland) the existing twin engine bombers could reach most of industrial England from such bases and indeed, during the war they managed to hit Northern Ireland. Need for longer ranged bombers is not very pressing.

Granted you need more crew but two 35,000lb bombers carrying 4000lbs each isn't that different than one 70,000lb bomber carrying 8,000lbs of bombs.

No Allied bomber built in numbers except the B-29 could have reached the Urals and returned after dropping a worthwhile bomb load from anywhere the Germans managed to capture in Russia in 1941-42. Trying to support even several hundred B-29 equivalent aircraft at the end of the German supply lines in Russia wasn't going to work.

I missed another German four engined bomber in my list above, the Dornier Do 19. Three built.
True!

If the Germans need anything with four (or six) engines it's transports. Had Germany invaded Russia in June 1941 with a thousand or more Arado Ar 232 (shown below) and hundreds of Me 323 they might have been able to support their front lines.

View attachment 599444

This, and a large number of tracked all-terrain supply vehicles like the Maultier (seen below deplaning from a six engine Me 323), Raupenschlepper and Wehrmachtschlepper and six wheel drive Tatra 111 fuel carriers would have done a lot to overcome weather and logistical delays and keep the Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe marching eastward.

View attachment 599451

A few hundred steam locomotives and a few thousand rail cars would have done wonders for the German supply situation too, and used a lot less oil and vital materials doing it.

I'm wondering how much of the FW 200's structural issues might be an "urban myth."

Sure about that?

From History of German Aviation: Bombers and Reconnaissance Aircraft, 1935 to the Present (Schiffer, 2001) Cescotti states in his conclusion about the Fw 200C "With regard to its structural soundness, which in some areas was at its limits, the cautious advice given in late September 1939 indicates that the aircraft would almost assuredly hold some rather unpleasant surprises under constant combat useage. It was with good reason - and a direct result of specific instances - that the excerpt from the operation manual printed above included the warning "Aerobatics are prohibited"!

Taken from official data corresponding to the Fw 200 V11 and under the heading "Structure" is the following:

"Structural soundness test were initiated when it appeared that the previous authorised stress limits, based on the P3 criteria, would no longer be applicable given the potential 17% higher take-off weight for the C-Series. On 22 September 1939 the RLM's stress analysis centre in Berlin-Adlershof came to the unmistakable conclusion that, among other things:
- the weakest section of the outer wing area came in at approx. 5% under the 1.35x safety margin of the stress limit
- the fuselage was able to withstand stresses during flight but did not meet safety margins on landing
-the landing gear was considered adequate for normal safety considerations, but was not fully acceptable during overload testing..."

and AFAIK one of only two twin-engined bombers fitted for two torpedoes, the other being the Wellington.

The Manchester! :D

That was a poor attempt at satire, as we know, the Manchester wasn't exactly reliable, and as far as I know it never did carry torpedoes, although it was designed to.

The Manchester! :D

That was a poor attempt at satire, as we know, the Manchester wasn't exactly reliable, and as far as I know it never did carry torpedoes, although it was designed to.
I forgot that the Ju-88 was also capable of twin torpedoes.

da8b97460258d23472b103debeefa354.jpg

And is this Do-217 really carrying four torpedoes? Did any other twin engined bomber in WW2 carry torpedoes outboard of the engine nacelles?

Dornier-Do-217-loaded-with-torpedos-01.jpg

Were these the only three that broke or were there more?

On the Wiki page is an example that lost its tail in flight over Norway - all crew lost. Not only the visible failure issues, but how many airframes were overstressed without visible results? There weren't many of these aircraft built, so not really anything you can build a sustained campaign around.

And now I have re-read what you wrote, I think it was me that didn't understand, so my apologies! To me it looked like you were telling me to get it right, when you were saying that I got it right. My mistake, my friend and I hope it didn't cause too much bother!
No problem! Just sometimes writing serves us bad and english isn't my mother language.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back