X-acto vs Scalpel

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ccheese

Member In Perpetuity
Jul 10, 2007
Virginia Beach, Va.
I just recently converted from the #1 X-acto model knife handle, with a #11 blade to a scalpel ! That's right, a surgical scalpel.

I bought a #3 scalpel handle (stainless steel) from Amazon.com for $2.04 and 100 #11 scalpel blades for $11.40. (Prices usd, of course) The advantages..... the scalpel handle is flat. It won't roll of the table. And, the blades are MUCH sharper and will retain their edge much longer. And, the initial cost for the setup is cheaper than the X-acto. I doubt that I will ever use all 100 blades. Terry (Airframes) put me onto the scalpel, I'm sure he will weigh in here, altho he prefers the #12a blade.

I find they are more comfortable in my hand, and I feel I have greater control of what I'm doing.

Here's mine with a #11 blade attached. A word of caution, if you decide to get one. These blade are very, very sharp. They will cut you three ways...... DEEP.... WIDE.... and OFTEN !! I always use a pair of needlenose pliers to change a blade.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2732.JPG
    DSC_2732.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,094
Got to agree with Charles here. I've been using a Swann Morton scalpel, with #10A blades, for fifty years. Mine is similar to the one Charles has posted, but a #3 handle, and my blades are a similar shape.
I find there is more control for delicate work, and the blade gives a much cleaner, precision cut than the X-Acto type, or its clones.
That said, I occasionally use a copy of an X-Acto, with a chisel blade, for heavy work, where the screwdriver-type handle gives good grip. But this is rare, and nothing compares to the scalpel.
As Charles said though - be warned! These are surgical instruments, designed to cut into flesh - and they do it extremely well! They are so sharp that, if you cut yourself, you won't realise it until one of two things occurs - either you'll feel that cold, feint feeling, or see the blood !

I have two handles.... the bigger plastic ones. One has #11 and the other #10.
I just bought 100 #11 blades for $17.00 AU !
I use the Exacto for cuts that don't really matter, only because I had it before the scalpel.....

Same boat here... Not an X-acto, but similar design was among my main cutting tools till I got given a scalpal at my last work... never looked back.
Like Bill, tool of choice for heavier first cuts is still the craft knife, scalpal for the fine work and precision cuts.

I have been using a couple of such "sharp" tools for ages. These are very useful and I agree they need more of our attention when using because of the possibility of cutting of yourself. Anyway following the rule - " never cut towards yourself " will limit the problem.

Always use scalpels and have one with a No 10 and one with a No 11 blade at the ready all the time.
Steve

Well ! I am surprised that so many of our model builders are already scalpel users. Paul, I have a couple that my doc gave me (disposable plastic handles). I will send you one with a few of the #11 blades. BTW, the old adage of never cutting toward your body is an old Boy Scout rule.

Charles

BTW, the old adage of never cutting toward your body is an old Boy Scout rule.

It is indeed. Not all Boy Scouts heed the advice though. Just look what the Boy Scout typing this did whilst whittling forty odd years ago!

thumb.gif

Even now I distinctly remember that this one stung a bit :)

Steve

These blade #'s have me puzzled. Is there a photo somewhere to see what shape corresponds to what #. I was looking at them on ebay and was confused #3 handle with #14 blade. What the hell does that tell me unless I am a Doctor

Have a look at the Swann Morton web-site. The handles and blades are illustrated. Standard 'straight' blade for modelling is the Number 10 or 10A, in a Number 3 handle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back