XF-89 in "Jet Pilot" (1957)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hoggardhigh

Airman 1st Class
Jan 6, 2014
United States
JP_XF-89_97mn40.JPG.jpg
Hi all,

The above image is of a scene from the 1957 John Wayne movie Jet Pilot, which depicts what is supposed to be the F-89 Scorpion prototype (XF-89) in the background.

The problem being, the original XF-89 (s/n 46-678) was destroyed in a fatal crash in early 1950, 7 years before the movie came out.

Does anyone on this site know the identity of the a/c used to represent the XF-89 in the movie? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
View attachment 498152
Hi all,

The above image is of a scene from the 1957 John Wayne movie Jet Pilot, which depicts what is supposed to be the original F-89 Scorpion prototype (XF-89) in the background.
The problem being, the real XF-89 (s/n 46-678) was destroyed in a fatal crash in early 1950, 7 years before the movie came out.
Does anyone know the identity of the a/c used to represent the XF-89 in the movie? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

This is the real one. The movie Jet pilot was filmed much earlier than first shown - check some movie sites about.
Filmed between December 8, 1949 and February 8, 1950, this long held-back movie finally debuted on September 25, 1957 in Los Angeles, followed by its Manhattan opening at the Palace Theatre on October 4, 1957 - as per IMDB. IMHO some scenes were shot later than the time mentioned. In the movie one can see the pilots sporting the old green and the new blue uniforms:
Jet%2BPilot%2B2.jpg
a122.jpg

On 8 April 1949, Air Force Letter 35-46 stated that the new Air Force blue winter uniform (shade #84) for men was available for purchase and immediate use. Distribution of blue uniforms would be made when stocks were available and general issue to airmen was expected to occur by 1 September 1950.
And this too: first production F-89A started flying in September 1950 - there is one used in the movie:
JP_F-89A_.jpg

Check IMPDB as well:
Jet Pilot - The Internet Movie Plane Database

Good afternoon. I carefully studied the black aircraft in the background & was about to comment that it is definitely an F-89, when I read Hoggard's reply & his response is far more detailed & accurate. As for Chuter's response, I can only say he must have a lot of pride in British-designed aircraft & in many cases, rightly so.! I truly enjoy all manners of a/c regardless of origin & the more rare or unusual, the better. Cheers,

Good afternoon. I carefully studied the black aircraft in the background & was about to comment that it is definitely an F-89, when I read Hoggard's reply & his response is far more detailed & accurate. As for Chuter's response, I can only say he must have a lot of pride in British-designed aircraft & in many cases, rightly so.! I truly enjoy all manners of a/c regardless of origin & the more rare or unusual, the better. Cheers,
Oops, I meant Catch 22's reply. Sorry about that. Catch 22's detailed response is very well written.

The F-89 looks more like a typical first generation American jet than anything...

View attachment 499565
Grau & Chuter:
I tend to agree with both of you. However, I must also qualify having seen a real one up close (at an air museum) & made several models when I was young that the F-89 still holds some kind of appeal. I tried to see if the display aircraft had a full cockpit interior, unfortunately at the time, the interior was gutted. Still....

Grau & Chuter:
I tend to agree with both of you. However, I must also qualify having seen a real one up close (at an air museum) & made several models when I was young that the F-89 still holds some kind of appeal. I tried to see if the display aircraft had a full cockpit interior, unfortunately at the time, the interior was gutted. Still....
If anything, the F-89 looks more along the lines of Canada's CF-100.
Most British first gen jets at the time of the N-24's development had either a "twin boom" configuration or inboard wing-mounted engines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back