XP-51F/G vs P-51H length.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great book, Bill! I just got it in the mail yesterday and have been reading it nonstop.
You mentioned that in going from the Allison-powered P-51s to the P-51B the wing was moved slightly down and forward. Is there some discussion of the actual measurements in some other thread here? On page 250 the side-view comparisons seem to indicate that the wing was moved downwards 3" relative to the fuselage but it doesn't call out any forward movement. It also seems to show the tail being raised by 2" relative to the FRL. Was the P-51B tail really taller?
The P-51D Airplane Assembly drawing, 106-00002, lists drawing 73-20001 for the empennage installation. That implies to me that the P-51D was still using the same tail as the early NA-73 Mustangs, which is what I expected to see. But the side views seem to show the tail height relative to FRL increasing from 67-9/16" to 69-9/16" when going to the P-51B.

Great book, Bill! I just got it in the mail yesterday and have been reading it nonstop.
You mentioned that in going from the Allison-powered P-51s to the P-51B the wing was moved slightly down and forward. Is there some discussion of the actual measurements in some other thread here? On page 250 the side-view comparisons seem to indicate that the wing was moved downwards 3" relative to the fuselage but it doesn't call out any forward movement. It also seems to show the tail being raised by 2" relative to the FRL. Was the P-51B tail really taller?
The P-51D Airplane Assembly drawing, 106-00002, lists drawing 73-20001 for the empennage installation. That implies to me that the P-51D was still using the same tail as the early NA-73 Mustangs, which is what I expected to see. But the side views seem to show the tail height relative to FRL increasing from 67-9/16" to 69-9/16" when going to the P-51B.
The Fuselage Reference Line changed when moving to Packard. No change to empennage, really, save all the structural enhancements internally - until the -25 when metal elevators and change in incidence was introduced. Kits were retro fitted.

The wing was dropped 3". The firewall/cowl raised 1". It did not change attach points at FS 104 amd 143. what did change was FS=0 relative to CowlSpinner interface. All primary fuselage reference stations remained the same. I was inarticulate but corrected in last edit submission which was not applied by Osprey.

The book also has Table errors made by Osprey art team transposing my excel spreadsheets. If you PM your email address I will send corrections

Users who are viewing this thread

Back