Your favorite post-war aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Even with an operational altitude of 50,000 - 55,000 feet, the CF-101B still could not intercept a Bison flying at combat height (56,000 feet) nor could it stern intercept a Concorde at 57,000 feet. Fact of the matter is, no NATO interceptor could except the Lightning.

pbfoot said:
i'm thinking its just a typo

No, I think the people who put these statistics together sometimes don't realize the difference between things like service ceiling, absolute ceiling, max speed at sea level and max indicated airspeed....

No, I think the people who put these statistics together sometimes don't realize the difference between things like service ceiling, absolute ceiling, max speed at sea level and max indicated airspeed....[/quote]
i 've filed flight plans for fl410

FLYBOYJ said:
pbfoot said:
i'm thinking its just a typo

No, I think the people who put these statistics together sometimes don't realize the difference between things like service ceiling, absolute ceiling, max speed at sea level and max indicated airspeed....

That I can believe. They see the words cieling and take it like the bible.

pbfoot said:
FLYBOYJ said:
pbfoot said:
i 've filed flight plans for fl410

:lol: - did you ask them if they were going to Mars?!? :lol:
certainly! with aircrew you can't be to sure
:lol: I was flying a T-34 from Point Mugu NAS back to Edwards AFB. The T-34 is an old recip trainer. The controller from Mugu approach probably thought I was in a T-38 and cleared me to FL 30. I told him I'd be lucky to make 10,000 feet (the plane is over 40 years old and had over 10,000 hours on it). He laughed and gave me vectors at 6,000 feet, he said that he should of noticed something when my ground speed never exceeded 125 knots! :rolleyes:

had a guy transit the zone in comox vancouver island asked altitude stated 6ft it was hovercraft

When the tower guys are on there game they can be a life savor. Ill tell you that. We did a routine IFR training flight yesterday. The weather was so bad that the fog never cleared up even at ground level. We did a Coptor Approach and the tower brought us down to the Runway. We could not even see the ground until we were about 20ft over the runway. It was crazy. Lots of fun though.

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
When the tower guys are on there game they can be a life savor. Ill tell you that. We did a routine IFR training flight yesterday. The weather was so bad that the fog never cleared up even at ground level. We did a Coptor Approach and the tower brought us down to the Runway. We could not even see the ground until we were about 20ft over the runway. It was crazy. Lots of fun though.

:shock:

That is true, but you have to still be able to see where the ground is in order to land. You dont want to hit wires or land in water or something. Very dangerous bad weather is.

well I'd hate to fly in europe to congested and the vis always sucks its not often a controller would say the weather was cavok or cavu (ceiling and visability unlimited)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back