**** DONE: GB-36 1:48 Me-410B-2/U4 - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jeff Hunt

1st Lieutenant
Jul 20, 2012
Guelph Ontario Canada
Username: Jeff Hunt
Name: Jeff
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1:48
Manufacturer: Meng
Model Messerschmitt Me-410-2/U4
OOB build

img_0001.jpg

Cheers,

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
This will be my first Meng kit and it looks pretty good in the box. Lots of detail including some PE stuff and some Russian decals if one so likes. I would think you have to be a true lover of red stars to build this a kit as a Russian bird.

I will be building her OOB as per usual, the only thing extra is canopy masks which I hope arrive this week. ( ordered from Hannants )

This 410 will be competed as one from 6./ZG based in Germany in 1944 Upper wing surfaces are RLM 74 and RLM 75.RLM 76 under surfaces and sides. I am pretty sure I have these colours mixed downstairs already from my 110 I built of a couple of years ago.

IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG
IMG_0016.JPG

The instructions advised RLM66 for the cockpit interior but if anyone can advise differently I would appreciate that.

Here is what the box contains.

The instruction book looks well laid out and the drawings are pretty accurate as to the pieces they represent. I don't think I will be putting the twp engines into this as I will not be displaying her in a diorama or such.

Not sure when I will get her started but I thought I would start the thread anyway so you all know what else is coming.

Cheers,

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, 66 for sure. Really looking forward to this one as I haven't laid a finger on that kit because of the stupid prices I've seen it at in the LHS. Heard good things though.

If you want some discussion on the 410 and some of the issues I had with the Pro-modeler version, you can check here. I also have lots of reference stuff Jeff so if you need any detail info just shout.

Thanks everyone. Luftwaffe birds can be kind of scary....theatre, timeframe, sub variants etc. Any and all help will be appreciated.

Cheers,
Jeff

PS. This was a Christmas gift last year, that is how I have it in the stash.

The kit sells for over $100 off the shelf here. I'd never pay that, no matter how good it is but I'd take it as a gift for sure!

Jeff, I've e-mailed 34 photos as promised.
Just had another look at the colour cockpit photo, and the interior is not overall RLM 66 as thought.
The base colour, including the canopy frames, is RLM 02, same as the wheel bays, gun bay etc, with consoles in RLM66, and black switch panels and instrument sub-panels.
I've sent a partial scan of the cockpit photo - too big to fit it all on the scanner - and will try to photograph the complete picture and send it on to you.
Meanwhile, for interest, here is the partial scan.

Can Jan 616.jpg

As far as I'm aware, the RAFM Cosford Me410 retains the original interior colours.
Note that the light grey colour appears to be a bluish grey, similar to that seen on the interior of early (H & P series) He-111's aft of the cockpit. However, I'm fairly sure that this is the effect of flash photography - note the difference in shade on the canopy rail area and canopy 'hoop' frame in the pic I posted, which looks more like RLM 02 under bright light, and is actually the same shade as the areas appearing to be bluish grey.
This is exactly the same shade as seen in the wheel bay interiors and the weapons bay, which is RLM 02, and can be seen in the pics I sent to Jeff. Unfortunately, I can't post these pics on the forum, as the RAFM specifically mentioned that I should not publish these, but that they were OK for sharing for private use.

Humm... you might be right Pal. At glance it looks like the blue-grey but while the light comes from another direction it looks a little bit different.

Yep. The same effect can be seen in a couple of my pics of the open weapons bay and engine cowlings, where the available light pics show RLM 02, and the flash shots have a blue-grey cast in those areas immediately in the flash range, and RLM 02 in the shadow areas.

It might be worth noting that some early Me410's were converted Me210 airframes and that there might be vestiges of 02 on those. If I were modelling a production 410, I'd still go with 66 throughout the pit as my choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back