**** FINISHED: 1/32 Fw 190D-9 - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JKim

Senior Master Sergeant
Jul 1, 2014
Carlsbad, CA
Username: JKim
First name: John
Category: Advanced
Scale: 1/32
Manufacturer: Hasegawa
Model Type: Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9 "Rudel"
Aftermarket addons: A few bits from the MDC Resin Cockpit and the Eagle Cal "Yellow Tailed D-9s" Decal Sheet

JTK_0135_zpsejwyv7pk.jpg

JTK_0136_zpswi5dzgpx.jpg

JTK_0139_zpsvmlwn3mp.jpg

JTK_0140_zpsfshpbvyv.jpg

JTK_0142_zpsfyetxtyp.jpg

JTK_0196_zps7onifduq.jpg

Additional pictures:
JTK_0166_zpswivxawwt.jpg

JTK_0168_zpsgna6lkvm.jpg

JTK_0154_zpsqc9ju2zt.jpg

JTK_0180_zpsvupwgxyf.jpg

Really nice. Really.

One thing I notice, however*, is the trailing edge of the prop looks like it will contact the cowling with very little pitch increase (see last photo in particular). This reminds me of the AirForce's D-9 that hasn't its own propeller so they dug into their rather extensive Ju88 spares collection and installed a Ju88 prop on it. It has the same problem with not being able to increase pitch much. This, of course, is hardly your fault.

*Bear in mind I'm an aircraft mechanic and pilot of 28 and 39 years ... with Asperger's ... :|

PS. You know, it rather looks as though the model was based on the AirForce D-9 with its Ju88 prop ... hmmmm.

Thank you for the comments!

Really nice. Really.

One thing I notice, however*, is the trailing edge of the prop looks like it will contact the cowling with very little pitch increase (see last photo in particular). This reminds me of the AirForce's D-9 that hasn't its own propeller so they dug into their rather extensive Ju88 spares collection and installed a Ju88 prop on it. It has the same problem with not being able to increase pitch much. This, of course, is hardly your fault.

*Bear in mind I'm an aircraft mechanic and pilot of 28 and 39 years ... with Asperger's ... :|

PS. You know, it rather looks as though the model was based on the AirForce D-9 with its Ju88 prop ... hmmmm.

Thank you! The photo that you refer to may be misleading due to the camera perspective. The prop comes close but does not come into contact with the front edge of the cowling. The trailing edge of the prop is contoured to provide clearance with the front cowling.
IMG_1612_zpsypm8f8h9.jpg

I think this tight clearance is part of the specific design of the VS111 prop.

Thanks for the positive comments guys! I really enjoyed this build. It was a combination of a subject I love and a great kit by Hasegawa.

Thank you for the comments!

Thank you! The photo that you refer to may be misleading due to the camera perspective. The prop comes close but does not come into contact with the front edge of the cowling. The trailing edge of the prop is contoured to provide clearance with the front cowling.
IMG_1612_zpsypm8f8h9.jpg

I think this tight clearance is part of the specific design of the VS111 prop.

Well, actually, this is exactly what I meant. The prop has minimal clearance at minimum pitch but there is absolutely no way it will achieve a comfortable cruise pitch, let alone fully feather. To function properly the trailing edge notch should extend a bit further from the hub. I think this profile more closely matches the VS11, for the VS111 they literally carved a chunk away to achieve that clearance. For the record, however, I wouldn't worry about it ... even if it were on my shelf ... just an observation.

(As an apologetic explanation I'm a professional aircraft mechanic with the "gift" of Asperger's and quite a few things tweak the rubber bands in my head. I'm quite popular ... just ask me about the NASM Ta152H ID ...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back