**** DONE: 1/48 Yak-1b Lilya Litviak, the VVS - Aircraft of the Aces GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking really good now, but will you have a figure of lilly to pose with it, she was a cutie!

Broke down and painted the frame to the camo.
Repainted the tyres, away from bright black. Actually the Nato black and semi-gloss worked great.
Fitting in the tail wheel. Gear legs fitting.
Funny how fast it goes after the main painting is done!
I sailor on.

Attachments

• 22 pre decal.jpg
    22 pre decal.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
thanks guys......

Decals today, and don't you just hate it when they come apart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I got a sheet because it had the numbers 32, which I transposed to make the 23. But, when I wet the stars, look what bloody well happened! It's just a good thing I did the La-7 which had a bunch of stars on the sheet. AND the numbers pretty well help up, I have nothing else to make the number 23. But it's turning out okay.

Attachments

• 23a baaaad decals.jpg
    23a baaaad decals.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 23b decals.jpg
    23b decals.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 113
looks like you made a good save Bill, could have turned real ugly. A coat of gloss over the decals before you start might help prevent the separation....for future reference!

looks like you made a good save Bill, could have turned real ugly. A coat of gloss over the decals before you start might help prevent the separation....for future reference!

Thanks Terry.

Now Wayne, I have tried this gloss coating thing, but have had no luck. How do you apply the clear? Do you have to keep inside the top coat, overprint of the decal? I tried saving the decals on the Halifax and it was not successful at all.

Just the gear to stick on now, and I will be posting "finished" shots.
I am having trouble with temptations to get into the captured bird, so I will do something on the Brewster to keep idle hands occupied, eh!

Thanks Terry.

Now Wayne, I have tried this gloss coating thing, but have had no luck. How do you apply the clear? Do you have to keep inside the top coat, overprint of the decal? I tried saving the decals on the Halifax and it was not successful at all.

Just the gear to stick on now, and I will be posting "finished" shots.
I am having trouble with temptations to get into the captured bird, so I will do something on the Brewster to keep idle hands occupied, eh!
What i do, and it works every time, is use testor's gloss cote spray.

Spray the sheet and get a nice even covering and the gloss cote will act as a brace for the film, you can see all my builds have had this done and it does not make the decals distort.

Examples of decals gloss coted in my work:
Revell decals:
13.jpg

Academy decals:
2.jpg

Aeromaster decals:
complete11.gif

Techmod decals:
money12.jpg

I agree. An overall coating, before use, preferably sprayed, will seal the factory glaze and the carrier film. Of course, it's necessary to allow the coating to thoroughly harden for a few hours before use, actual time depending on type of gloss varnish used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back