**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 Mitsubishi J2M Raiden - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Coming along nicely Michael :thumbleft:

With regards to your silvering issue, it is quite unusual (if not impossible) to get silvering on a surface as glossy as the one you have there. What I have observed occasionally however, especially when a lot of setting solution is used, is that it can fog the varnish coat. It's a little difficult to tell from the photo, but it looks as though that's what you might have. I don't know why it happens and I only see it rarely, but I suspect it has something to do with how well the paint is cured (I note you just resprayed the port side 12 hours prior). It freaked me out the first time it happened but, have no fear, if left overnight it will disappear by itself.

Some progress shots for the weekend
Port side with oil staining.jpg

some light oil staining behind the exhausts added and the yellow leading edge stripe added

Prop with decals.jpg

Prop decals added. Needs a sealer coat I think

Starboard side.jpg

Starboard side. The raised details within the yellow flash were painted over, visible in this shot but okay at normal magnificiation

wheel strut decals.jpg

wheel strut flashes added

I don't think I can fix it. Already has a hardcoat over them.

I was aware that they might need to be fitted horizontally, but the Tamiya decals I had and the decaling instructions did not include these LG stripes. the ones I had were from Hasegawa, and the flashes just a fraction too wide for the gear. Certainly I could have fitted then trimmed, but just assumed they were supposed be fitted vertically.

Cranky with myself that I got that bit wrong. I have to live with it now I think, unless I get replacement flashes to fix it.

Michael, do you have some of clear decal? I mean either the clear decal sheet or remains of used previously decal markings. If you do you may paint them either like Geo suggested with a brush or paint the remians with the red, yellow and blue colours. These coloured pieces are for cutting out these strips. Use for that a sharp scalpel or razor blade and a ruler. The next step is to complet the flashes using the trimmed strips. If you don't have the remnants of decal sheets with the clear background you may use the parts without it but covered with the decal glue. Just apply some of clear gloass coat. Then paint the strips or apply the solid colours for cutting of the strips.

Last edited:
Might it not be easier to remove the decal, respray the basecoat and then just paint the flashes after masking each stripe?

Yes the base coat has to be resprayed. But you don't need to remove the decal markings. Just overpaint them. If you have pieces of old decal of the colours I would suggest cutting these strips and putting them together as separate ones. But If you want you may paint the flashes.

I don't bin any decal remnants and store in a box because all of them can be useful.

kalki1.jpg

me neither. I can follow your suggested method, but I worry that the result with my limited skillset might not be that great. I am fairly confident that I can handle a micro paint job like this, getting the band widths right and the flashes pretty close to spec.

Have to think about the issue for a bit I guess, but really appreciate the help professor. .

I see Pal. Could you tell me how wide ( thick) each of these strips is? I mean how high it is. Or.. generally what are dimensions of the entire flash?

Last edited:
Thanks for the great support and encouragement, and some very well thought out advice as well.

For the moment I'm going with the paint option .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back