**** DONE: GB-41 1/48 F4F-3 (211-F-9) - PTO from 1937

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Indeed it is is very difficult to find pics showing the covering of the ailerons. But all Wildcats including the FM-1 and FM-2 had the fabric skin of the both ailerons , elevators and rudder.. Just the tension of the fabric was very good. On the other hand, the Hobby Boss overdid with the relief of the ailerons.

Here a couple of enlarged shots presenting the ailerons with the fabric covering and reinforcing strips at the rib edges seen.

F4F-3 aileron.jpg

F4F-3 aileron_.jpg

F4F-3 aileron_a.jpg

F4F-3 aileron_b.jpg

Thanks for all that Wurger, you come thru again with the goods,
I do prefer the tighter cover, we will only see the little hump of the stitching.
I'm showing here my steps for the hinging.
Marking the spacing, in proportion from a photo, not equally spaced!
I first make a saw cut in the aileron then fold 120 sandpaper and drag thru the cut to fit the styrene.
Then I shape a piece of styrene tapered at one end to fit the space in the wing.
I do this for each hinge. Insert all three in the cuts fo the aileron to position in the wing.
Then insert them in the wing with the aileron,
and drop some Tamiya Extra Thin cement in the wing only.
This so you can remove the aileron to position After shaping the styrene hinge.
Each time I do these things I learn a better way!!!!! Trial and error.
GB21_F4F_12.jpg

More method...................... sometimes I wonder why.
The rudders, doing this to both, at the same time.
First I make the cuts in the appropriate places, in the Rudder, not the vert stab.
Then like the ailerons a plastic strip for the hinge posts, .5mm card.
After I have inserted the card I mark the vert stab, hard to se but I did.
Then I make a slot for the hinge piece, on one side.
Then mate the fusey halves and transfer the slot to the other side.
Then trim the card to fit in the slots, top is narrower than the bottom in width.
Blimey, it Fits! ready for gluing in the slots at assembly, not until it's ready to go together.

GB21_F4F_13.jpg
GB21_F4F_14.jpg
GB21_F4F_15.jpg
GB21_F4F_16.jpg
GB21_F4F_17.jpg

Thanks guys, and Doni.
The 9 plane will be taking off on it's last flight
so the control surfaces need to be articulated........ ooooo, like that word ay?
And of course the 11 plane is in a bad state and wouldn't look good all straight and stiff.

I'm working on the pilot and seat for this one at the moment.
Just finalizing everything for assembly and painting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back