**** DONE: GB-41 1/48 F4F-3 (211-F-9) - PTO from 1937

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys/
I didn't cave....... but did a bit different!
Believe it........ the belts Can be assembled!!!!!!!!
The wing tip light forms were a bit flat,
I'm waiting for paint and decided to improve them by removing them all together.
A piece of rectangle styrene attached and will shape when good and set......
Hoping paint gets here today, should have come yesterday!!!!!!
Interior and bothe exterior colors.
GB21_F4F_20.jpg
GB21_F4F_21.jpg

Ummm, not to be a killjoy, but F4F-3's did not have shoulder straps, only a lap belt. Same for the early -4's, factory supplied shoulder straps did not appear until after Midway.

When my father finally fetched up on Hornet on 5 June (4 June - take off from Yorktown, land on Enterprise, take off again, land again, spend the night; 5 June - take off from Enterprise, CAP mission, land on Hornet and operate from there until return to Pearl) he was interested to find that the Hornet F4F-4s has shoulder straps that the squadron had designed, fabricated, and installed. Quoth: "at least they did one thing right." But the -3's? No, they had no shoulder straps.

Last edited:
Ummm, not to be a killjoy, but F4F-3's did not have shoulder straps, only a lap belt. Same for the early -4's, factory supplied shoulder straps did not appear until after Midway.

When my father finally fetched up on Hornet on 5 June (4 June - take off from Yorktown, land on Enterprise, take off again, land again, spend the night; 5 June - take off from Enterprise, CAP mission, land on Hornet and operate from there until return to Pearl) he was interested to find that the Hornet F4F-4s has shoulder straps that the squadron had designed, fabricated, and installed. Quoth: "at least they did one thing right." But the -3's? No, they had no shoulder straps.

Well then......
Verrrry in-ter-estink!
So having said That, the bar across the panel behind the seat,
over which the non-existant shoulder straps,
would not even be there!
I have found o n e photo of a cockpit shows No harness, No bar.
Thanks mate!
Every F4F kit built prob has straps!

Last edited:
The straps are just set in place so I can lift them off
I'll make a new lap belt from my spares and use that alone.
I'll remove the bar from behind the seat
and Bob's your uncle.
So I have shaped and added red glass for the Port wing light, now the other wings.
I cut a sliver of red from the top cap of an old pen
flattened one side and glued it to the front flat area of the light on the wing tip.
When that set I trimmed and filed and sanded to shape, the wing on the left is finished.
Easy peesy.
GB21_F4F_22.jpg

Thanks, the port wings lights worked a treat.
I soon found that a toothbrush handle will not work,
the plastic is not stable enough to stick with the glue.
Will have to find something green and rigid.

The seatbelt thing without the shoulder harness????
Seems I had the photo all the time,
just didn't look close enough, and the caption reflects No Shoulder harnesses!!!!!!
Source, the internet!
GB21_F4F_23.jpg

My two cents to the seat belts..

Although the shoulder harness wasn't there, in many pics it can be noticed what makes the inpression the shoulder harnass was there. However it is not the part of the seat belt system but it is a part of the parachute harness. IMHO it is the reason for the confusing mostly.. Here a couple of shots I found via the Internet. So if the figure of a pilot has the belts moulded it is correct as these parachute harness had been attached to the pilot before the pilot was attached to the seat. ;)

F4F-3 belts_1c.jpg

F4F-3 belts_1b.jpg

F4F-3 belts_1a.jpg

My two cents to the seat belts..

Although the shoulder harness wasn't there, in many pics it can be noticed what makes the inpression the shoulder harnass was there. However it is not the part of the seat belt system but it is a part of the parachute harness. IMHO it is the reason for the confusing mostly.. Here a couple of shots I found via the Internet. So if the figure of a pilot has the belts moulded it is correct as these parachute harness had been attached to the pilot before the pilot was attached to the seat. ;)

After the story was told, I went back and took closer looks at the pics I had and came to the same conclusion. I have to pay closer attention to photographic evidence.

Looking good Bill. There is a company that sells the blue, red and green bits but I can't recall who. I've posted it somewhere in the forum, maybe in the Model Kit review or Kits decals and tools section. I'll have a look when I get of work tonight

I have seen the same thing.
eBay, position lights made for a particular aircraft.
I would just like the block they are cast on!!!!
Just trying to keep the dollar cost down.
Besides, it's the challenge of the odd!

Last edited:
Bill, for coloured lamp covers, use 'normal' clear sprue, sanded to shape and polished (or kit parts if supplied), and paint with Tamiya 'clear' colours, available in red, green, blue, yellow, and 'smoke' They work very well, and on such small areas, can be brushed on evenly.
A small touch of the 'smoke' to the required colour can be used to give a darker shade, and, of course, the colours can be mixed successfully, for example, red and yellow to make orange.
Easier, and cheaper, than sourcing and buying coloured lamp covers / lenses, which might not even be the required shape anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back