**** DONE: GB-43 1/32 Spitfire Mk.VIII - Aces' Aircraft of all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks, Wojtek and Hugh.

Into the final stages now, with the main gear assembled and painted, and the brake lines and resin wheels fitted. The wheels are a tight, push fit, and will be rotated as needed once on the model, to align the 'flats'.
The base for the weathering and dust and dirt has been done, although it doesn't show up too well in the photos, due to the gloss coat - further dust and grime will be added, sparingly, after the matt clear coat.
I'll let all this settle overnight, and hope to get the matt clear coat sprayed tomorrow.
Thanks again to all for the interest and complimentary comments.

Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 537.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 538.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 540.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 541.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 542.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 543.JPG

Many thanks again chaps, it is appreciated.

As the dirt, staining and weathering has been 'laid down' on a gloss coat, there is still much to do, as the matt clear coat will alter the appearance, slightly diffusing the overall effect.
With the matt coat on, more surface wear and tear, and certainly more underside grime will be added, as this will be more realistic 'on the surface', rather than being diluted by clear coats.
That said, I don't want to make it look like a "nicely weathered model", with over-accentuated panel lines etc., and hope that I can get a subtle, worn and dusty look, including rain streaks and other stains in the covering dust.
However, as much as I'd like to make it look as "it was", with the filth, dirt, dust etc at the time, as a 'stand alone' model, on the shelf. without benefit of a diorama base, I don't want to overdo things and make it look too ..... er .... Hollywood ?

Thanks, Wayne and Hugh.

Got the matt clear coat on, although the underside could do with another coat. Once that's done, and the varnish has dried for around 12 hours, I'lll start on adding a little more dust and grime.
Apologies for the poor pics - desk lamp wouldn't stay locked in the desired position.

Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 544.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 545.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 547.JPG

Thanks very much chaps.
And mood lighting my Rs - the darned desk lamp kept drooping, and my wrists were too stiff to tighten the locking catch !!
Been experimenting with various 'dust' effects, and hope to get that done tonight. Pics eventually ....................

Got the 'dust'done, misted overall, with some streaks and splashes here and there, representing rain marks.
Going to leave this to settle, and then add some 'clean' areas, where hands and feet have disturbed the dust and grime, and then decide whether it needs another matt coat on the upper surfaces, to reduce the 'clean' looking sheen.
Back sometime tomorrow ........................

Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 557.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 558.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 559.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 560.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 561.JPG

Looking good my friend. To remove the dust I would slightly wipe the entire model with a piece of felt or semi-soft rag.

Thanks Karl and Wojtek.
The spraying was straightforward, using a sandy brown shade mixed from acrylics, and thinned at around 80% water to paint.
But cleaning the airbrush afterwards took nearly three times as long as the prep and spraying - hats off to those who use this type of paint. It may spray and cover well, but the 'plasticising' effect as it dries in the airbrush is terrible, the work of the Devil, acrylics !!

Wojtek, I could use that technique in places, but I also need to get some distinct marks, where hands have been pushing, for example, so this will be done with the original colours, over the 'dust' effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back