**** DONE: GB-43 1/32 Spitfire Mk.VIII - Aces' Aircraft of all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Can also try brushing with a thin mix of matte clear. Did this on my dessert P-40 and is quite effective.

111023 Pit 4.jpg

Yep, did that on the 1/48th scale version of this subject.
I need to see the model in daylight, as I may have slightly over done it around the nose on the port side. But, there's still quite a lot to do, which should improve things.
I will give the upper surfaces a final, thin matt clear coat as well, as the misting of 'dust' has dried with a semi-matt sheen in some areas, I'm guessing due to the extreme thinning ratio used.

Thanks Geo.

I've now got the dust, and 'clean' patches, the way I want them, although some dusty foot prints may yet be added.
The masking has been removed from the windscreen, and exhaust ports and dorsal I.D lamp, but left in place on the rear glazing, as the forward frame needs to be re-touched, after removing residue of PVA used to temporarily fit the canopy and (kit) cockpit door, the latter to be replaced by a resin part.
Exhaust staining needs to be re-done, and a couple of small 'touch-ups' here and there, along with painting the interior colour around the edges of the door aperture.
The overall effect looks better "in the flesh", as the single, halogen desk lamp has created some sheen and highlights in the photos.

Back some time tomorrow with a further up-date.

Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 562.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 563.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 564.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 566.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 568.JPG

Thanks chaps.

I had thought of leaving it for a couple of days, as it would have gained a natural, dusty look !
Even the models in my cabinets, with doors tightly shut, get a coat of dust in my place !!

Got the exhaust staining re-done, and the exhausts fitted, I.D. lamp painted clear amber, dorsal lamp fitted, that notch in the port side of the cockpit filled and painted, a canopy rail made and fitted to the starboard side, and the resin cockpit door painted, assembled, decalled and fitted.
Just a few more little touch-ups to do, before assembling the prop and fitting the final sticky out bits etc., and I should have it finished by the end of the weekend, or very soon after.

Pics 1 and 2. Exhausts in place, and staining re-painted.
Pic 3. Underside I.D. lamp painted clear amber.
Pics 4 to 7. Plastic strip was used to fill that notch at the rear of the cockpit door, and to create a canopy runner on the starboard side. If built "OOB" with the canopy open, there would be a gap between the canopy and the cockpit sill. The sill would also look too wide and 'bare'.
The painted areas have since had a matt clear coat to blend in with the surrounding areas.
Pic 8. The resin door with its separate crow bar, compared to the kit door. The location of the stencils is correct for a Supermarine - built Mk.VIII, although the bottom one should be upside down when viewed from outside - the decal stuck before I could align it . (CABF Spitfires had the stencil positioned horizontally between the central frames.) Note that the crow bar is natural steel in colour - red was not used on wartime Spitfires, this being an 'emergency equipment' colour introduced some time after WW2.
Pic 9. The door in position, attached with CA, a slightly fiddly job, as it needed to hang 'proud' of the fuselage side, not flat against it as seen on many models.

I hope top get the prop done tomorrow, along with the final small detail painting, and should get the rest of the remaining parts fitted over the weekend.

Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 584.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 585.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 583.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 569.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 570.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 577.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 578.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 582.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 586.JPG

Cheers Andy.

Nearly there now, with the main gear on, and the tail wheel and resin doors, and she's up on her legs.
( Note that the Revell instructions have the step numbers for the main gear transposed, showing the port gear locating at starboard etc and care is needed to align the legs to achieve a level 'sit'.)
Also got most of the detail painting done, such as the jack point spigot holes, nav lamps etc, but yet to 'dirty' the tail wheel and doors.
Back some time over the weekend, when hopefully it will be finished.

Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 590.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 591.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 596.JPG

Made a start on the decals, with the code letters from a 1/48th scale Xtradecal sheet, the roundels from an Airfix 1/48th scale Mosquito sheet, and the fin flashes from an old (1989) Allmarks SEAC sheet.
The fin flashes were soaked for around 30 minutes, then a further 10 minutes with Micro Sol, and still wouldn't detach from the backing sheet. I even tried pleading, and eventually threatened to play a Justin Bieber record, and still they wouldn't cooperate !
I eventually resorted to lifting the decal from the sheet with the edge of a scalpel blade, and applied them onto a coat of gloss varnish. I remember having to do this for the 1/48th scale version of this subject and, as I only had four of the Airfix roundels, I'll have to use two from the Allmarks sheet for the underside, using the same technique.
I should have the decals all done by tomorrow, and I'll post further pics the.
Thanks again for your interest.

View attachment 559673View attachment 559674View attachment 559675View attachment 559676View attachment 559677View attachment 559678
You own a Justin Bieber record? Either we need to be worried or you lead a secret life as a masochist and/or sadist!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back