P-51B Mustang - The Bastard Stepchild that Saved the 8th AF has been sent by Osprey Publications for Print.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice amazon page
1585058563613.png

Out of curiosity in your research did you find out when Republic and North American were asked to extend the range of their fighters? Also how much emphasis was placed on this. Often the manufacturers were giving multiple requests some more important than others.

Out of curiosity in your research did you find out when Republic and North American were asked to extend the range of their fighters? Also how much emphasis was placed on this. Often the manufacturers were giving multiple requests some more important than others.

The Arnold Fighter Conference drove the priorities to get Materiel Command off their asses for long range combat tanks - Feb 20 1942. Also set as a priority was to urge the US fighter manufacturers to increase internal fuel. That said Barney Giles, Chief of Air Staff lit the fire under NAA, Lockheed and Republic to prioritize schemes to increase internal fuel in the P-51B, P-38J and P-47D on July 5, 1943. NAA had a stainless steel 90gal (not combat) fuse tank installed and flown in 43-12112 on July 16, 1943.Lockheed was next with 2x55gal LE tanks and Republic last with 65gal increase in the P-47D-25,
Ordered at Osprey web-shop (that I can just recomend for the people at Old Continent) :)

Many contributors from this website - Tomo was very important at getting images of the specific LW fighters I needed to make some points about evolution to fight the 8th AF

Yes. Two major drivers. Arnold Fighter Conference in Jan 1942 which drove Materiel Command to develop combat tanks. ACOS General Barney Giles issuing 'instructions in July 1943 to NAA, Republic and Lockheed to increase 'internal fuel'. NAA delivered prototype SS fuselage 90 gal fuel tank (not self sealing) 10 days later. Lockheed had a 80 gal tank resdy for tail cone but abandoned that line and went for leading edge tanks for the P-38J. Republic was far behind because of major design issues to modify wings (P-47M/N) or increase fuselage fuel (305 to 370) for P-47D-25 - which required extensive mod under and aft of cockpit.

Note to all: If you want my sorry signature and blessing in any book I rote - send me a self addressed envelope to; 10148 Bluebonnet, Scurry TX 75158.

Tell me which name you want in the book.

I will write a personal note on a sticky back 4x5 label and send back to you. Beats the hell out of shipping a book two ways.

Thank all of you for your kind remarks.

Bill
Well Sir,
I'm ashort drive away and when this is covid stuff is all said and done?
It would be an honor to provide a few rounds of your favorite libation as a thank you for your signature.

Wait... we have to pay money for this book?

Obviously kidding, as a frustrated author that's never published anything but crappy posts on message boards I'm a bit envious but also very happy for you and offer hearty congratulations on another tome for the library. Well done!

My copy arrived today. Browsed it for 3 or 4 minutes. the initial impression is very, very favorable. The appendices look good, the bibligraphy looks to cover a wide range of archival source materia, the pre-history chapter appears to be relatively complete at first glance. And while I know we're supposed to not make snap judgments on first appearances, my guess is this is probably a definitive level book from both a development and operational use perspective.

Very, very pleased.

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. The Book, while written 'largely' by me (Colin Ford wrote huge RAF contributive chapter) was a huge collaborative effort with my co-author Lowell Ford.. and co-editor Bob Gruenhagen.

The style regarding content narrative was mine so any confusion in moving between NAA and AAF and ETO in chronological order can be pinned on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back