**** DONE: 1/24 Spitfire Mk.Vb Floatplane – Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank you all, Gents. Didn't get too much accomplished, today. The pylons are where I want them. I will attach them to the floats tomorrow, and maybe get a dry fit of the floats to the wing. Here's the finished pylons...

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2357a.JPG
    DSC_2357a.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 81
Good Sunday Morning, Guys..... and thanks for the positive comments. Just remember... all comments are welcome.

This morning I sat down and pinned the pylons and floats to the wings. This is just a dry fit with pins, and some things may not be aligned properly. It gives you a good idea of how the Spitfire Floatplane is going to look. Today I am going to glue the pylons to the floats, and try to finish getting the wing boxed up to received the pylons, so the wing can be covered. Weather permitting, I have some yard work to do, today.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2358.JPG
    DSC_2358.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC_2359.JPG
    DSC_2359.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 74
Looking great Charles. Is there enough wing structure to which to attach those legs?

Yeah, Andy. I added four ribs to the wings and made a box for the tongue of the pylon to fit into. Also added some sheet balsa to the underside of the wing, so I'd have something to glue the upper flat portion of the pylon to. It will be pretty sound.

If you take another look at the first pic, you can see (from inboard out) where I added rib #3 #4, and the tongue of the pylon sticking up.

Charles

Last edited:
Nicely done Charles and it's so refreshing to see another aspect of model building. You also have to wonder how well the airframe and wings of a floatplane stood up to the water pounding the floats on take-off or landing. They wouldn't have had the absorption shocks of a conventional olio leg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back